or Connect

Posts by rightkindofme

I have a lot of friends I don't visit with my children. I have a lot of friends who lead very adult lives and they aren't very willing to censor themselves for kids. So I mainly keep up with them online right now and we will spend more time together when my kids are older and less needy.   I don't think that someones worth is dependent on their ability to be friendly with little kids. Lots of people suck at that. I don't reject them wholesale I just don't bring my kids...
One summer I hired a bunch of my high school students to come help me paint my house. They did a crappy job, but I was paying non-professionals $8/hour. It was good enough. Till one of the kids flushed a bunch of paper towels. Everyone denied it. These were 16/17/18 year old kids. They should bloody well know better. It cost more than a thousand dollars to fix. Making this project so expensive I would have been better off paying professionals--oh well.   I didn't go...
That one isn't one of my favorites.    If he is hurting himself you probably want to get him into therapy. Do you know much about cutting and self-mutilation? I started when I was 8. Often self-mutilation is about control. The child feels like (s)he has no way of controlling life but the kid can control how much pain they feel. It's a really difficult situation overall.     I think of cutting as a tool to help me manage my anxiety. It's not a great tool. It's...
This is going to sound really weird.   For a really long time I have wanted to travel with my children (before I had them, even) in third world nations working on farms. So we have a trip scheduled we are figuring out how to fund and manage and everything. I have seven years to plan. No problem.   I grew up experiencing a kind of poverty and abuse that people don't usually change--usually it just gets sent down another generation. My kids are upper middle class....
Uhm, I'm going to come right out and say that your friends sound like big jerks. I wouldn't want to be friends with them any more. They are being mean to a three year old. How freakin petty can you be? Given that you can't know who painted on the stuff in the room I think they are being ridiculously unreasonable. I think having you pay for *any of it* is over the line.   If that happened in my house I would cry and refuse any offers of payment. It's just stuff. Stuff...
This series of books is the reason I don't abuse my children: http://www.amazon.com/Your-Eight-Year-Old-Outgoing/dp/0440506816   This author goes through every developmental bump. She gives very good advice. She's practical, gentle, and pragmatic. Her advice for three year olds is "Stick them in daycare so no one gets hurt. They'll be fine again at four and if you want you can take them back out of preschool." That was AWESOME advice! heh.   I am also really enjoying...
I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I was a public school teacher. When people find out we are home schooling they generally ask, "Oh what did you used to do?" when I tell them "I was a high school teacher" they respond with, "Oh then you'll do ok."   Let me forking tell you high school did not prepare me for this preschool $h!t. This is hard. Oh man. I'm having a brutally hard time with these little kids. I'm just nice to them so that they will be nice to me when they get more towards my favorite age...
I think your ex is right to not want his child sleeping with your new partner. It's time for a big boy bed.
Rock on with your bad self, sister.