or Connect

Posts by rightkindofme

It's kind of funny. I always swore up one side and down the other that I would continue to curse full stream ahead. Ha. I don't want to teach her angry language. I don't want her to feel like she should be angry all the time. It's been really good for me. It was when I realized that my daughter learn by mirroring me that I started consciously working on my facial expressions. I have a lot of harsh grief lines. My face is not given to smiling. It feels really weird and...
  Oh man. I get that one. If we could bottle this feeling we could take over the world.
I've been cutting back on reasons to be out of the house on purpose. I do my chores in the morning then I sit down near where they are playing and I read. I am supervising them but I'm not entertaining them. Their independent play has improved massively and I spend a lot of time on research. I read a lot of non-fiction. Honestly, I am mostly trying to deal with having PTSD. There is a lot of research involved in completely retraining your brain.   Not everyone is...
After the initial time consuming set up i spend less than five minutes every other dry or so categorizing transactions. It feels easy to me.
I married someone who makes a lot of money. It would be relatively easy for us to be not-frugal. But I have a kind of weird depression-era mindset. I'm not a hoarder (I have a very minimalist house because if I can't clean the whole thing in an hour we have too much shit) so I didn't go to the extreme. But I wash and reuse plastic bags until they disintegrate. I use family cloth and don't buy disposable anything (other than razors).    I spent a lot of time on...
I'm aware that my hubris only pans out because my kids are not picky eaters. What do they get for breakfast and lunch? Breakfast my husband cooks and it is "your starch preference of the day" with the kids choosing between oatmeal, pancakes, french toast, crepes or the grown ups say, "I think it is a protein day" and we have eggs. We generally put yogurt on top of most starches so that the breakfast isn't *just* starch. We only veto starting with a main starch once a...
  8 pages? Oh dear god you must be a masochist. I'm lonely. Blogging is what I do to be less crazy.
Err, my husband makes about three times what that chart considers a living wage. But our housing is twice as expensive. Transportation costs mean every expense involved with owning a vehicle so we probably spend two or three times what they estimate. We don't pay childcare for our two kids.   I am weirdly frugal/depression era attitude towards how I run my house because I grew up very poor. I am weird about how I work with money. So we save a lot. And we are paying...
Sweet Silver--I think that a lot of my "top down" style of handling this is because I hate cooking. I'm bad at it. At this point in time it is the big point of friction in my life. (Laundry is no longer so bad now that we are done with cloth diapers. YAY!) I grew up eating ramen two meals a day and eating free lunch at school. Learning how to cook vegetables and meat has been a major journey for me. If my kids had allergies or serious issues I would deal with them. But...
  My kids are 2 and 4. I cook one meal. Our go-to alternative is cheese and salami and we have a hanging fruit basket the kids access at will. I don't limit access to eating but my effort is worth something and I'm not going to teach my children that it is ok to be demanding and rude.   ETA: we also have a two bite rule. And I do cater to likes when I'm cooking. We have no allergies. No one likes onions. I don't make anyone eat peppers if they don't like them. My rule is,...