or Connect

Posts by rightkindofme

I meant that I don't remember the books I read in school. I can only remember my current obsession. ha.
  My good friend was visiting this week. I am white-American. She is Taiwanese by birth but moved to this country at 4. Her family is evenly split between California and Taiwan and she spends a lot of time going back and forth. Her parents are both currently living in Taiwan and plan to stay there unless/until my friend or her sister have kids then they will come back to the US to help.   So I've been thinking about this stuff a lot! I can't imagine what it would be like...
  These are books I have read in the last six months. :)
To me part of "understanding compassion" is hard to take out of cultural contexts. Take Feral Children. They have really and truly existed. They generally are incapable of "rejoining the herd" of their own species.   How much of being human is taught? I find it completely fascinating.
I'm totally cool with being disagreed with. :D Uhm occasionally there are people with tones I don't like and there's been a lot of that in the last few days and I don't really need more this second.
  You might be very interested in The Moral Animal. He extensively goes into how compassion works for us as a species.
I can see that this is going to be one of those threads where if I post I am going to get yelled at. Pity. It could have been fun.
Depends on who you ask! In some cultures they have been called a third sex. In our current American culture that feels less relevant. When people feel non-binary in their gender expression you tend to find a different specific answer from person to person. There is very little that can be assumed or generalized.
There have been cultures in history that respected third sex people. Some native American tribes viewed them as holy. I have been very blessed to be close with several transsexual activists. It is a whole world out there that is hard to find unless you just happen to meet the right people.