or Connect

Posts by treehugz

Wow, 6 let-downs at a feeding!  That's great... usually I expect 2-3 over 20 minutes, more if he's alert and actively sucking, more during times when I think he's having a growth spurt, less if I'm agitated/distracted/hungry/need to pee/etc. I've never heard that you shouldn't let them suck too long... can't imagine why unless there's some medical problem.     Also, just re-read your original post that said you were induced at 38 weeks... are you by chance...
DITTO!  One bonus of leaving him attached when he goes to sleep is that you'll likely get that second (and third, etc) hindmilk letdown sometime while he's asleep... my ds will fall asleep, not suck for a while, then surprise! he does a little sleep/comfort suck that catches me off guard and my milk lets down... then I just encourage him with a little cheek rub to keep sucking.  I couldn't just let my ds nurse and then fall asleep when he wanted for the first two weeks...
Bumping... I have a 4.5yo dd and a 6wk ds.  Our days have turned to chaos... my dd definitely fits the description of defiant and moody.  Any advice?
Oh, that sounds tough.  I'll second ALL of seraf's suggestions, especially pumping till you get let down and a steady flow and then offer the breast... that should help get to the hindmilk quicker too, which is the fatty milk that will help him gain.weight.  Getting enough hindmilk makes my ds sleepy, so he'll fall asleep at the breast and just sleep and nurse... worked great for getting my supply up after it dipped during a hospital stay at 5 days old.  My LC said the...
Ugh, I hate that one too... and its cousin:  Sometimes babies just need to cry.    Philothea, I totally hear you.  I held dd1 almost constantly including naps for her first 4 months before reading about high needs babies in the Dr. Sears book.  Then I learned about baby carriers, and I carried her everywhere.  I called her my velcro baby, lol.  
Ooh, I like the idea of a nursing tank underlayer... or maybe a tube top since that would mean no clips or snaps to mess with.  The nights are getting chilly here!
I heard all these with my first... now that she's almost 5 and I look back and am reminded of how short a time they are babies, I really can't understand everyone's push for encouraging them to be independent... don't hold her so much, let her cry it out, start solids at 3 months, quit breastfeeding by 12 months, start preschooling by 2 or 3, and on and on.  I don't get it... I LOVE singing my dd lullabies to sleep and watching her sleep in my arms and so many other...
DD1 hated the carseat from the first trip home from the hospital till at least 12 months.  It was sad, and I definitely limited my trips because of it.   I have several vivid memories of dd screaming her head off in the car.  Sometimes she would fall asleep and sometimes she wouldn't; it was unpredictable.  I had one classical lullaby cd that would sometimes work, and sometimes my singing worked.  If she didn't fall asleep, we stopped every few minutes to check diaper,...
Thanks seraf... the photo timeline is really helpful!  I've been practicing tipping back the potty... it's tricky holding him and getting the potty "just right" so we're still overshooting a lot.  I'm getting better with the pee catches though, at least after naps during the day.  I'd like try catching at night, but he pees (and breastfeeds) every hour at night it seems like right now, so I may wait a few weeks to start with night-time EC... unless someone has...
Yay, return of the yellow poops!  I'm wondering what time of day he's having the green poops vs. the yellow poops.  I'm thinking the green ones are coming from when he's drinking the pumped milk that has more foremilk?  So then pumping foremilk before you nurse him at home wouldn't really help.  How long does he breastfeed when you're home and how often do you breastfeed him when you're home?  Does he night-nurse a lot?  Could you try pumping more at home for longer than...