or Connect

Posts by sofiabugmom

Hello all!   DH is seriously considering a relocation to London at the beginning of 2012.  I'm beyond excited!   I've been researching areas to do the house-hunting, and was recommended Richmond, St Albans and Royal Tunbridge Wells (based on train lines to where DH's office will be).  However, in my searches on Education Otherwise, I discovered a HS group for ASD/Asperger kids in the Kent/Medway area.  DD (almost 9) has been diagnosed with SPD while she hasn't...
DD (7) eats fruit and veggies with no problem (and no sauces or dips, either). My issue is getting her to eat protein! She'll eat fishsticks, and the occasional Chicken McNuggets (actually she'd eat those all the time but I only buy them for her occasionally). She also loves peanut butter sandwiches. My sneaky way for getting some additional protein is a pancake recipe I have that calls for lots of eggs and blended cottage cheese. It's also a struggle to get...
I saw this thread via New Posts and laughed as I remembered DD's 4 mo WB visit. Knowing that I was BFing, the doc asked me how often DD woke up to eat during the night and I said, "I have no idea." The look on her face was priceless. When all you have to do is roll over and flip up the shirt, you don't really wake up long enough to take notes on how many times you've nursed that night!
Yikes, I feel your pain. Only in my case, the bill collectors were trying to reach the people who had last lived in our house. We had even brought over our phone number from the OLD house ... the collectors used some database to get our number, I suppose assuming the former residents had just changed their number to avoid getting calls. It was a major PITB, and it's been going on for five years. Our tenants are saying that they're STILL getting letters for those folks,...
From personal experience, it's not all it's cracked up to be especially if you use a clumping litter. My cat tended to use the same side of the box; since the rake picked up clumps of cat pee, the clumps sometimes accumulated on one side of the little tray and the lid wouldn't close. It also took her a while to get used to it; she'd hiss at it when it activated.
I saw your post via "New Posts" and wanted to respond. I'm coming up on the seven-year anniversary of my hospital admission for P-PROM at 30 weeks. I also wanted a homebirth, and had absolutely no problems until the day I went to the hospital. One week later I had complications and she was taken out via C-section. She was in NICU for four weeks (mostly for feeding/growing). Born at 3# 7 oz, came home at 4# 8 oz. But it probably took me a full month to realize...
I'm so sorry you're going through this! You're absolutely right in that this little boy is YOUR child, meaning you and DH. Just because your inlaws are watching your child doesn't mean they have the right to keep you out of the loop on where they take him or how they babysit him (to a degree, of course). It just irks me to no end when I hear this about caretakers who are family; it's as if because they're blood-related to the child they name themselves second parents...
Sorry, didn't mean to double post!
There are more reasons to educate at home than just "bad schools". There's freedom of scheduling, ability to teach your child your values and morals (and religion, if that's your priority), individualized lesson plans, higher meal quality, avoidance of bullying culture, easier dress code, higher incidents of tickle wars and hugging sessions, and so on. Funny you should post about this: when DD was an infant I asked the same question to a woman who lived near us in CT,...
Our garden is in CT, zone 6b (Fairfield County). About a year ago, we had to dig up our strawberry and raspberry plants due to a MAJOR poison ivy infestation in the garden bed (we didn't apply herbicide). No new ivy has grown in, so the bed is ready for new plants. So what's the problem? We won't be moving back to the house until August, and I don't think it's fair of us to ask our tenants to put in plants this spring (or try to schedule around a landscaper's time)...