or Connect

Posts by meetoo

I just skimmed the posts, but I don't believe there is any advantage to teaching preschoolers to read(not to be confused with readiness skills). I've read many studies that actually state teaching preschoolers academics slows the learning process in the long run(even when done in a "fun" way). The brain connections they make are not as good as the ones they would have made had they been taught later. It also takes away from the very important skills preschoolers need to...
If I were you I would request a conference with the teacher. It sounds like they really need to be more lenient while she adjusts. The stuff they are taking recess away for is just plain old silly. I would tell them flat out they are not to take recess away from her with out contacting you FIRST. Explain how she was so excited to go to school and is already miserable. If she has more than one teacher make sure they are all there. Kids need a break! It doesn't sound at...
There are a ton of ways to "challenge" your child without using a curriculum. Many children are not ready at 4 for formal reading lessons or worksheets. Some aren't ready academically and others just aren't mature enough. That's why formal schooling really shouldn't begin until kids are 6+ IMO.  There are so many ways to engage her with out curriculum/work sheets.    Read read read!! then go read some more.  Do projects based off books Talk about the books your...
I agree wit hteh posters that said 2 weeks isn't enough time. I'm very homeschooling friendly also, but two weeks is not a fair shot. First grade is a big adjustment (longer day, more work etc.) many kids who have done preschool and K still have a rough first few months of first grade. If It was me I would say we are trying school for this school year, and see what happens. If the year is to long for you you can say until Christmas or something. But I would do at least 3...
This year my kids are doing one of those summer books. Ours is Summer Express I think? It's made as a bridge between grades. This is the first year I have ever had them do seat work. One of my kids has ADHD and everyone thought going the whole summer with know seat work would be a disaster come fall. It's actually working out very well. They have one page front/back a day and I offer a prize at the end of the week. The prizes vary and I don't tell them what it will be...
    Yes, I do. My child with ADHD needs very strict consequences, enforced immediately.It also takes him much longer to learn certain behaviors than your average child.  By strict I don't mean, spanking/yelling/shaming/or any sort of abusive practices. I mean a consequence with enough impact to get his attention and that are consistently enforced. We use things like grounding, revoking TV privileges, taking away toys, etc. I try to make the consequence fit the crime...
Oh I'm joining! I'm in the midst of spring cleaning/decluttering! This year I decided to work from teh top down. I'm trying to get all the bedrooms decluttered. Bathroom/linen closet are ok so I don't need to worry about those. I already did my sons room.  Agenda for today is my bedroom! it's the gross catch all room that rarely gets cleaned.   So far I clean out a closet and managed to make an even bigger mess. 
I just reorganized my sons room partly due to his ADHD too. What I did was really limit the number of toys. His room is also quite small so that was a challenge. Everything has a it's own bin, and other than his quite large lego collection, there are not an over whelming amount of toys. Most of the toys are also stored on an open shelf vs toy box.    For the rest of the house I make sure we have a defined spot for his homework, backpack, lunchbox, coat, library...
I have some pictures if anyone wants to see PM me. Also it's been almost a month and he is keeping his room fairly clean!!!  
I disagree with the above poster. I'm personally not a big fan of Alfie Kohn in the home. 3 is a very difficult age for many kids, mommy being pregnant never helps .   I would try first and for most turning things into games. "lets race up stairs" "let's see is you get undressed before I get to 5" etc. etc. Three year olds are really trying out their independence. I think it saves a lot of hassle if you can gain cooperation through positive means. Make sure you give...