or Connect

Posts by aspeechthx

A program I would recommend that you look into is by Dr. James MacDonald. He wrote "Communicating Partners" and his approach will give you a new way to look at your child. His approach is similar to many other relationship based-approaches and his therapy techniques are done by the family during the daily routine. He has a group (I think it is a Yahoo group?) where he sends daily tips to professionals and families. If you Google it you will find good information. I hope...
The great thing about relationship-based interventions is that PARENTS can have the most impact on thier kids! They can use the strategies during bathtime, mealtime, playtime... and no specific time has to be set aside to work on "talking". Something else to remember as you are interacting with your child: talking is only one small part of communication. It is a physical act (physically moving your lip, jaw and tongue...to talk) but it is also a social act (they have to...
I prefer relationship-based therapies when working with my caseload of children under the age of three. Whether their diagnosis (or potential diagnosis) is general language delay, apraxia, autism or any other reason their language is delayed, the main focus should be on interaction skills, before talking is even a goal. Various programs target these very important interaction skills including, “Communicating Partners” by Dr. James MacDonald, “Responsive Teaching” by Dr....
Regarding tantrums, ignoring is a really good strategy. I always tell the families I work with , "Be careful what behavior you reward because you will get more of it!" With non-verbal kids, (actually, all kids)  make sure that you acknowledge that he IS communicating something to you. So, you could say "I know you want___ but we don't have any." or" I know you are upset about leaving the park but we have to go now." This helps him know that, even though he doesn't have...
 Yea Floortime! I am a big supporter of relationship based therapies: Hanen, Responsive Teaching, Communicating Partners...   Please consider Apraxia as you are looking at reasons for delayed expressive language along with poor eye contact. Obviously I do not know enough about your child to make any diagnosis but often kids with apraxia are misdiagnosed. Apraxia is a motor planning issue, where the child cannot coordinate everything that we take for granted (breath...
If you mean is early intervention important VS the wait and see approach, I would loudly chime in with, "Early intervention is very important!!" ( I have even watched our local pediatricians recommend that families wait until the child is older "because some children catch up on their own".) Therapists are trained to look for different things than physicians tend to see.  But I would agree with previous posters that specific early intervention programs vary state to...
Our OT has what she calls a "hug". It is a stretchy wrap that velcros around their belly. It is about 12" wide and provides deep pressure around their middle from under the arm down to just above the hips. (If you can picture that!). It kind of reminds me of wet suit type material (with velcro at one end) but it is just a wrap without sleeves. It looks like it would be simple to make.  If you try it, I would use it along with getting a hug from you too, then see about...
Yes, I would call a doctor in your area, most likely an ENT, to find out more about your suspicions. Clefts of the soft palate are not caught right away because they are often submucous, or hidden under the soft palate. Some signs may include discoloration of the back 1/3 of the roof of your mouth (the soft palate) or a bifid uvula (which means a split in the uvula that hangs down in the back of your throat).
Here is personal family story to consider: I have suspected that my nephew has aspergers since he was 3 years old. He is now 21. Unlike your family, his family was not understanding or even willing to see that he was different than his peers. (Yes, I brought it up several times and introduced them to the term "aspergers", but they didn't pursue it. I only saw him 2 times a year at holiday gatherings.) They expected him to behave in ways that they understood and they...
I didn't have time to read every comment above but I saw you mentioned Floortime and Hanen, which tells me that you have done your homework!! Those are excellent programs and if you understand them and can carry them out then YOU are doing wonderful things for your child! James Mac Donald has another program that is similar (Communicating Partners, I believe). Just because a person is a therapist doesn't mean that they are a good fit for every child or for every...