or Connect

Posts by griffin2004

I've never had a cat and so don't really understand what makes them tick.  But I'm an animal lover -- and my daughter is a HUGE animal lover with that intuitive animal vibe some people have -- so I'm willing to be persuaded on the whole cat issue.   We have a chance to adopt a young (not kitten, but 3ish-yr-old) Russian Blue girl.  She currently lives in a house with a dog and a parrot, but her owner is very ill and Kitty needs a new home.   The problem is that...
Quote:   This is painting with an overly broad -- and very unfair -- brush.  The decision to euthanize a suffering, dying animal is as gut-wrenching as it is humane.
I'm curious as to why you won't take him in for an evaluation.
Thank you all for  your wonderful insights, opinions, and practices!  Admittedly, I have a bugaboo about the whole goodie bag thing, but I'm willing to have my horizons expanded.   I like the idea of a craft to take home or a book or a single item along those lines.  It's the bag of candy and plasticky junk I dislike so.  And the sense of entitlement.  But I'm much more comfortable looking at it as a thank-you-for-coming memento.  That makes more sense to...
My DD turns 9 in December.  We've had a really horrible year (sudden deaths of 2 family members), so I decided to give her a blowout birthday party.  My dilemma:  should I give out goodie bags to the party goers?   Here's why I don't want to: I object to goodie bags on general principle.  I fed you and entertained you at this party.  I also need to give you a gift? This party is going to cost a lot, and 20 or more kids will be there.  No extra cash for...
We, too, live on the edge of Enough and Barely Enough.  $50 extra in a month makes me smile big time; needing to come up with $50 leaves me scrounging the change jar.   I focus on the big things like raising insurance deductibles to reduce premiums, cancelling the phone land line, using the envelope system to keep grocery and gas on budget, etc.   But also focusing on the little things (vinegar/baking soda for cleaning, clothes shopping at Goodwill, no eating...
I work M-F 8:00a-4:30p with a half hour lunch.  It's ok.  I wish I could work 8:00-3:00 and the rest in the evening after kiddo is in bed.  My job duties would fit that arrangement, but there is no way in this world or the next that the Powers That Be would go for it.
Quote:   I so hear you on this.  An example from this afternoon:  the battery in my upstairs smoke alarm has been "cheeping" forever.  I keep meaning to change it, but you know how that goes.  Today, my neighbor brought over his ladder AND a new battery and offered to change it for me.  I wouldn't let him because I was so embarrassed for him to see the inside of my house.  That's just nuts.  I've gotta get on top of this!
We are diehard Laptop Lunchers.  I bought 2 when my daugher was in kinde.  I used them 4 days a week for 3 years and they are still going strong.  The fork/spoon in one set broke, but that may have been a user issue  rather than a problem with the product.  She is starting 3rd grade next week  and I plan to keep using the boxes.  I wrap them in a bandana that she uses for a napkin.    Her new school has a daily hot lunch program.  The menus are ho-hum but not as bad...
I would dearly LOVE to find a family finance / frugal living blog written by a single parent or targeted for single parents.  Do you have any favorites?   I'm able to glean good info from the "2 parent family" blogs I follow, but what most of them do with 2 parents I do with just me:  earn the income, raise the child, manage the home life, manage the finances, etc etc.  They just don't address our circumstances of bringing home the bacon AND frying it up in a...