or Connect

Posts by Geofizz

I am very clear on the research wrt skipping. I skipped. My DS skipped. We are confident in our decision. The gifted teacher backs us, and she's pushed for several skips in the past. DD will be working on a hypothesis-driven project on emotional intelligence that will cross social studies, science, and language arts. It will work on the higher order thinking skills she is ready to learn, and let her stay a 6th grader where she belongs. It will be overseen by the...
Have you spoken to the teacher? That's always the first step. IIRC, you did early start K. A grade skip is very different and requires support from the school. The IAS is a good, evidence-based tool for guiding discussion both between you and your spouse and between your family and school. Another option is single subject acceleration.
Long gone:Sauted spinach in butter and garlic, dumped in the peanut sauce, tossed with home made noodles.  Heaven. In SF.  This state forgot to turn on the heat.  I got to watch my niece play soccer.  I think folks in OH have it right - they quit outdoor soccer before it gets this cold.
Your ped is poorly informed about dyslexia (that's pretty typical, nothing against the ped - he did steer you in the right initial direction):  Our district is not reliably identifying it with 80% accuracy in the 1st week of kindergarten.   OTs have different skills sets.  They are probably generally best at dealing with poor fine motor coordination as it affects handwriting, but not all would be as good at the automaticity.  You might have to go and interview a few to...
Mel:  "he still has to think about each letter he writes, and it slows him down"  How old is he?  That's a huge, big, red flag if he's 2nd grade or beyond.  That screams dysgraphia or a developmental coordination problem to me.  An OT is often someone to identify it, but it needs to be diagnosed by someone who can diagnose out of the DSM, so an educational psychologist or someone similar.  He also needs to have his working memory tested, as too much focus on one task taxes...
You are so close to India. Saychelles?
Loft, how's school going for your DS?   This week's meals: Jo's soup kerc's pumpkin soup corn pancakes with black bean sauce & cheese pasta and meatballs beef stirfry and fridge/freezer found veggies over rice   I came home from a Xmas party with a quart of peanut sauce, like you'd use for sate.  Ideas?  I've got fresh spinach in the fridge, and a lot of home made pasta.  It's a snow day, so I've got a few minutes to actually cook tonight.
Woah, Plady, those are amazing pictures, and actually look like something out of a movie.  I cannot see how the barn didn't catch fire.   I'm leaving to SF tomorrow for a conference.  This is not going well.  I'm totally uninspired.  And it's a snow day.  I've been up since 4:30 trying to get work done.  This is not shaping up well.   Ahhh, sports sidelining goes to school music performances.  It's good to see that little aspect of life is branching out into the arts...
erigeron, Just because kids are smart, doesn't mean that they do well on standardized exams.  In our case, we go to lengths to reduce anxiety in environments like this.  Having some practice is huge for us.    We had our meeting today, and I managed to squash the discussion (again!) for a double skip.  We've also tabled the idea of the GLL program as they cannot find a way to keep peer interactions going for DD while she'd do this, and that's not right for this kid at...
Mel. i agree with kerc, "candidtate" means you've past the last exam hurdle besides thesis/defense exam. So for a MS, that's upon completion of coursework, for PhD, that's passing comps/quals. Off to dinner with job candidate. I'm in (academic) love.