or Connect

Posts by Geofizz

Sparkle, I don't think it's so much an issue of parents going out and looking for evaluations and disorders, but noticing a distinct difference in how their child is able to operate vs the expectations placed on the child.  I think APD is a bit in vogue right now.  It's gotten some popular press, and people are seeking out such diagnoses.  People who don't like the ADHD-> med implication seem to instead seek out the APD (not responsive to medication) diagnosis as somehow...
As an advisor, I see a mix of what students choose to do. For a lot of them, it's a financial decision first, and an educational decision second. I get that those constraints are very real, and I just try to guide them towards decisions that keep as many doors open as possible. I see it more severely with dual enrollment credits than AP, though. I'm not sure if the difference is the origin of the credits or that it's generally the wealthy suburban schools that offer...
I agree.  Time to send another parent to the PTC.  Just don't go if you can stand it.   In another week, though, I'd recommend you circle back to which ever administrator acted as the point person in the original grade skip.  Ask for a meeting and outline how everything went last year and what you're seeing this year.  Skip anything judgmental (do unto others....), and just report the feedback you're getting on the contrast between last year and this year, and ask if...
Killing time before class:    IB/AP stuff.  I see both sides of the teach to the test issue, but one point about "wide and shallow" vs "narrow and deep."  If you take something like AP US history, getting the survey done allows you to dig into a deeper class later.  Doing the deeper class would be difficult without the survey first.  If you look at most college majors, they either start with classes called "intro to..." of "... Survey."  That's because you need the...
I hope Dane had a great first day.  12 kids in a class sounds like an excellent introduction into schooling.   More on AP later... Not surprisingly, I have opinions.  I'm impossibly behind in work after a 90 hour week last week (unheard of from me, and hopefully not repeated for a good, long, time!)
I always go to the teachers first.  Always. Anytime I go to the director (my kids are school age, so principal), I give the teacher a heads up.  I always cast it as "I'm wondering if there's something else to be brought to this issue, so I mentioned it to the principal, just thought I'd give you a heads up."  I always act in such a way as to maintain a positive relationship with the teacher, one based on mutual trust and respect.   To go further, I've started to have to...
I tend not to take the mainline view on social stuff with gifted kids.  The thinking generally goes that the cognitive abilities are generally better met socially with older kids.  Well, yes, sometimes.  However, it is an important set of skills to know how to play with other kids, and when a kid tends to avoid all the kids in a group -- not just a few, or even just interact with 1 or 2, but all the kids -- then as a parent, I interpret this as a skill my child is...
The running group has been around since winter 2003-2004, becoming the dingoes not that long after.  DD is 11 and in 6th grade and DS is almost 8 and in 3rd grade.  RM, you came to the camping trip in 2006, so you had to have been a dingo at least a while before that! 
Good to see you here, Shanti.   I'm still pondering the feedback on parent teacher conferences.  I'm glad to see that the teachers see what I do (and maybe somewhat more), but I'm sad to see that their solutions are so ... half hearted.  The good news is that each kid is doing quite well.  Fixing things for DD is certainly going to require out-of-the-box thinking.   I am recovering from a cold and lecturing many too many hours each week.  I have vocal chord...