or Connect

Posts by Plaid Leopard

Hi- I don't live in London but we go there every once in a while. My children like the British Museum and the Natural History Museum. My 7 year old particularly likes to do the activity boxes/backpacks that they have at the British Museum. The Diana Memorial Playground in Kensington Gardens is great when the weather is nice. A friend once suggested doing one of the boat tours on the Thames but we haven't done that so don't know whether it is good to do or not. I...
I was thinking about that after I turned off the computer last night. If measles needs a booster, then is it possible that the live virus from the vaccine is acting as a booster in the general population? Although, if that were the case, it would seem that we would not be seeing an  increase in measles cases  in older children and young adults, as they would be exposed to recently vaccinated children fairly often. As far as I know there has not been an increase in measles...
Well, a case of measles confers natural lifelong immunity. We certainly can't say that for the measles vaccine.    
 Immunity to chicken pox wanes over time, but contact with chicken pox circulating in the community gives natural boosters. Now that chicken pox is not around so much in the US, less people are coming into contact with natural CP, and more people (and more younger people) are coming down with shingles. But that's ok - now we have a shingles vaccine! Yay!      
And another thing that really annoys me here in the US is the attitude that a midwife couldn't possibly be capable or competent of she hasn't spent years and years at university.  Women come to midwifery from all different backgrounds and education levels. I apprenticed with a CPM in Texas before moving to Europe. SHe had earned a degree in English before deciding to train as a midwife. I earned a BA and Master's in French before deciding to study midwifery. Those...
What do you mean that in some states anybody can decide to be a midwife and then just be one? Do you mean in states where midwifery is a-legal that anyone, anywhere could claim to be a midwife and attend births? Certainly there are no states in which midwifery is legal that self-declared midwives could become certified just like that.   As far as foreign midwives being the equivalent of American CNM's, I suppose you could say that they are closer to CNM's, but it still...
Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl!!! There is a homeopathic witch hazel cream that you can get at pharmacies that sell homeopathic remedies. If I recall it is made by Weleda. Hope you get some relief.
  I get what your saying, sosurreal. Calling non-vaxers lazy implies that the only reason they don't vax is because they just can't be bothered to take their children to the doctor, and are perhaps too ignorant to understand the science behind vaccines.    
I have been seeing a lot studies concerning serotype replacement and the increase of non-vaccine strain invasive disease following introduction of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. Often, the recommendation is to develop more vaccines which cover more vaccine strains (and now we have the PCV13). I recall a former MDC member warning of exactly this situation a few years ago. To me, this is just one example of how vaccines can  have unintended and sometimes dangerous...
My 12yo was vaxed on schedule up to 4 months, received the oral polio vaccine against my wishes at 12 months, and then a tetanus shot when he was 5. My 10yo has had one tetanus shot. My 7 and 3 yo have had no vaccines. None of my children have had any "vaccine preventable diseases", not even chicken pox. All of my children are very healthy, - just getting the occasional cold or virus which never sticks around very long. They have all been breastfed for at least 3...