or Connect

Posts by Plaid Leopard

Hi Jessie- how exciting to be almost finished with college and thinking about having a baby! All the best to you. My advice would be to start interviewing midwives in your area, even before you get pregnant. Most midwives are very open to meeting women and answering questions about what they do. That way you can ask all your questions and find if there is a midwife that you are compatible with and who is competent and able to deal with special health issues in...
I wanted to ask why you believe that the title CPM should go? What do you think these midwives should be called? And do you believe that all CPMs are under-trained and under-educated? While I do believe that there should be uniform training standards in midwifery, I don't think that midwives need to have a university degree to be good, competent midwives.
I agree Liz. I think uniform training and regulation is key. And uniformity doesn't have to mean that all midwives practice in the same way. Here in the UK, the midwifery schools have to meet certain standards of  training, but each school has a slightly different approach to applying those standards. Likewise, individual midwives practice in different ways. Some are more hands-off, use alternative and complementary therapies etc, while others are more quick to...
Until there is a more standardized system of licensing and oversight of midwives, I really think there also needs to be more education and information regarding homebirth and HB midwives, and what a MW can and can not do, and should or should not do. Obviously, individual MWs should be very honest  about their training, their statistics, and their strengths and weaknesses. Midwifery schools and accreditation boards should be honest about what midwifery is and is not, and...
Yes ICM - I believe Pit works well as a "last resort". I'll search for some links. Obviously, it would depend on the amount of bleeding. If a woman is gushing vast amounts of blood I imagine pit would be a first choice. If it is a slower but persistent trickle then there would be more time to try other methods such as uterine massage, shepherd's purse, plaving a bit pf placenta between gum and cheek etc...
I'm so sorry for your loss, Liz. I agree  that we need a national licensing standard and oversight process. And I definitely agree that the medical community needs to be more accepting to midwives and homebirths. I am in the UK, and all midwives here, whether they are based in hospital or are independent home birth MWs, must attend university and be licensed by the National Health Service. Midwives are independent practitioners and attend most births, even those...
thanks! I've got a grabby 3 year old who is preventing me from doing much of anything here!
Hey ICM! I fixed the link (I hope). I had a PPH after my second birth. The midwife told me I didn't have to bleed, asked me to tell myself to stop bleeding, and then and gave me drops of Shepherd's Purse tincture. And I stopped bleeding. The MW said that she often sees PPH in women who need extra emotional attention and support after the birth. Obviously there is a physical reason for bleeding, but perhaps the emotional state contributes in some cases.   At a...
Here is the Michel Odent article "The First Hour Following Birth: Don't Wake the Mother!"   http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/firsthour.asp