or Connect

Posts by La Limena

Sorry, I don't understand what point you are making. There are no atheists in my unit, nor did I say atheists could be in BSA. All Scouts promise to do their duty to God, but we don't make their family members do so. Unless they are registering with BSA as adult volunteers, it isn't anyone's business if the Scout's family members are part of an organized religion or not. I am surprised by your seemingly pointless comment.
In my Pack sexual orientation is a non-issue. We don't ask boys or their families about their sexual preferences. During leader training we are instructed that whoever a boy considers his family, is his family. According to BSA "Many Cub Scouts do not come from traditional two-parent homes. Some boys live with a single parent or with other relatives or guardians. Cub Scouting considers a boy's family to be the people with whom he lives." That seems open-minded to me, and...
My DS has been assigned into a combination 2nd/3rd grade class this year and I am very unhappy. He is in public school, tomorrow would have been the first day of 3rd grade for him.   Since he will only be getting half of the normal 3rd grade education I am looking for supplemental educational materials so I can tutor him to keep him from falling behind his former peers. As of the end of 2nd grade he was above grade level for most subjects and at grade level for the...
I'm a Scout leader and my older ds is a Scout, the younger ds still has a few years until he will join. I love the Scouting program, the good that Scouts do, and the influence on character development.   I also attended a very liberal college and one of my two majors was history, with a concentration in the history of gender and sexuality. The other major was biology, including work in neurobiology. I have seriously contemplated gender and sexual orientation issues...
Last year we switched from our old pediatric dentist who we had for about 5 years after much disappointment with him. We pay cash for all our dental care, and I felt like he was just ignoring things at the early stage to bill more later for more extensive treatments.    I am fully happy with the quality of care and honesty at our new dental practice. I feel like we are on the same wavelength of preventive care rather than letting teeth go bad in order to have...
I took 5 weeks off after DS2's birth (had someone work locum tenens for me) and then wore him to work in a Moby until he was 8 weeks old. I had my office make my schedule a little lighter during that 3 weeks of baby wearing. I was really glad to spend that time with him, totally worth the lost income.    Just to keep life interesting DS2 decided that only straight breast milk from the source would be acceptable, and refused to take the fruits of my pumping from any...
My thoughts on this is if you want your child to fit in well in your social class, they will pick up most of what they will need to know if you provide proximity to others in this class in school and extracurricular activities.   Live in the neighborhood of the social class you are part of and send the kids to the schools in the area and you will quickly learn which are the preferred sports, music lessons, clubs, and general interests of your local kids and their...
I enjoy my work. I meet many interesting people and have generally pleasant staff but if I could I would be in the OR all the time. It is very rewarding to know that what I do makes a difference in the quality of life of my patients, but in terms of pure enjoyment, nothing compares to the microsurgery. Planning the case in my mind, sitting at the operating microscope, utilizing the instruments, anticipating challenges and handling them as they arise to ensure the best...
It is astonishing to me that adults would not only expect gifts, but specifically ask for expensive items. In my large extended family including my large extended family in-law, we only give gifts to children. And as the children age we tend to buy less expensive rather than more expensive gifts. Usually we spend between $20-25 for each child. I spend more on my own kids. We may give gifts to our adult immediate family, but depending on my mood they might get a homemade...
It was very interesting, and heartening to read. I am glad to hear working moms benefit from all they do.    As for the other topic, well it is off topic, isn't it, and kind of trying to rain on this good news.   The good news about the second topic is "The study authors were careful to say, about their conclusions, that a mother's working is not the cause of obesity, but rather an association."      They actually could not explain why the kids were fatter....