or Connect

Posts by La Limena

I am trying to raise my sons as Spanish-English bilingual too (both DH and I are native speakers). I have looked into the two listed immersion programs in Santa Ana (we live in north tustin) and it doesn't seem like it would be worth it. Both schools have terrible Academic Performance Index (API) scores and seem soft on academic achievement. I am amazed that the schools have a wait list at all. I was fully enamored of the concept of Spanish immersion and have a soft spot...
We unplug almost everything (including the toaster oven) that we are not actively using to reduce passive energy waste. I feel your pain on the melty mess. In college I learned never to place anything on top of a toaster oven after I melted a camera and then had to go down to the dark basement to pry it open to salvage what I could of the film.
I am not sure exactly how they raise the meat or anything, but there is local meat (beef and pork) available at Cal Poly Pomona (in Pomona). They have a farm store which I have visited for produce and they also have a nursery for plants. I used to live in Diamond Bar which is right next door and my sister is an alum. The students there study meat science and raise cows and pigs and their meat is available for purchase. I suppose you could call/email/or tour the facility to...
I toured SCM's birth center and thought I would rather have a homebirth (they attend homebirths) because my home was closer to my backup hospital than their birth center was. Keep in mind that you will have to drive back and forth from Long Beach for appointments which are normal business hours. I had more flexibility with weekend appts with my midwife and I know that some MW without offices come to your home for appts and will do evenings and weekends. I also didn't click...
Susanne- For "good" farmer's markets, you would just have to go by trial and error. My former fave, Santa Ana's is temporarily (I hope) shut down. My other closest ones happen while I am at work, so I haven't been able to visit them in person. You can check on cafarmersmarkets.com and search in OC and it will give you a list broken down by day of the week and time. I live near 2 streetside farm stands, so during the Summer, if I want what they are selling, (berries, corn,...
I was born and raised in OC and left for college and residency but came back to settle here because my family is here. I really love where I live in OC, an unincorporated area on almost 1/2 acre. Here the lots are more spacious and the homes a little more varied. I hear coyotes at night and there is a small flock of wild parrots (much smaller than Santa Ana's and Orange's) that roost at dusk. I grow fruit (2 orange trees, lemon, key lime, kumquat, fig, pomegranates, 3 plum...
Interestingly enough I found a wonderful LC through one of my hospitals so don't be too quick to write them off. I had a homebirth but as I had nursed DS1 for 2.5 years I didn't think I would need any help. I started to have major issues with DS2 and I called every single community based IBCLC in my area and NONE answered their phones and only one called me back a few days later and in the meantime I was freaking out and decided to call my staff hospitals and even though I...
I just finished the approval process for becoming a milk donor to the San Jose bank and I don't have a physician either. I had my homebirth midwife fill out my form. It was more or less a medical clearance form, and as a licensed midwife she was qualified to complete it. The bank also wants someone to be able to contact in case you end up testing positive for any of the diseases screened for in the blood tests so you can arrange further workup and treatment. The...
Thank you. Tallulahma- I wish I never had a leak too! Fleece might be too hot in California. Junipervt- Maybe gussets in the super brites make a difference, mine have no gussets. Llyra- I used these same covers for 3 mos with my older DS and don't recall such leaking. I keep the CPF in the cover, but maybe DS legs aren't chunky enough yet. The Motherease dipes sound nice if they are pull-on like but can be opened in case disaster strikes. I'll look into it.
One that doesn't leak out the leg openings but are not pull on style. We are currently using CPF from our diaper service and I have Bummis Super Whisper Wraps and Whisper Pants for covers. I snappi the CPF in an angel wing fold under the covers. The WP don't leak out onto clothes but are messy to get off when BF poo leaks out of the diaper onto the inside of the cover (smears poo onto the legs as pulled off). The SWW ALWAYS leak out of the leg holes. Obviously a super...