or Connect

Posts by mama-aya

Yep, definitely. And chores are scheduled into our day- though by now it's pretty much just part of the natural flow, not something that feels "scheduled". In the morning we all do our am jobs- 10yo empties the upstairs hamper, sorts laundry, starts a load in the washer, makes his bed 4yo makes his bed, gets the paper, sets the breakfast table. 1 yo empties the plastic bin cupboard and carefully spreads containers all over the kitchen floor while I make breakfast,...
Welcome to Yakima! Anne and Duane Teerink are boh Osteopaths at Pacific Crest Family Medicine. They are open and have patients who don't vaccinate. They like to schedule introductory meetings with potential patients to make sure everyone is on the same page, so that's a great opportunity to discuss concerns like that before it's actually an issue. The doctors at Yakima Pediatrics are not hostile, even if they don't agree. Most doctors around here are respectful of...
Have you actually checked anything out from the asset library? It seems like a great idea and all, but when I've asked the answer is always that the library is not set up yet....
I just use the allowance for consumables and lessons, field trips, stuff like that, because most non-consumable homeschool stuff has really good resale value. Non consumable things you order through CVA you get to keep as long as you're using them (if you bought a skeleton, say, you could keep it as long as the SLP included anatomy/bones, etc, which might be every year that you're a CVA member). When you leave CVA or are finished with the item you have to give it back....
Yep- about the MAP, just push back a little. If she's used to taking an eval test in the spring, then maybe that's a comfortable part of your year long rhythm, and you don't feel comfortable changing it up.
the yahoo group- I don't know- I haven't thought of it in a long time. I'm on the list, but maybe my emails are getting spam-filtered out? Hmmm. I'd ask your advisory teacher. One thing, though- we're registered 99%, which means we're technically still homeschoolers, and get to follow the homeschool rules, don't have to do WASL, etc.. If you're registered 100% you're a CVA student, technically, and maybe they feel they need to be more careful about making SLPs fit the...
We use CVA, and love it! It just seems restrictive, I think so they're making sure they cover their legal bases, like looking at the state standards seems horribly institutional and restrictive, til you realize it all SOUNDS more uptight than it really is. We're Waldorf inspired, and don't folllow the state standards at all. I don;t even think about them, most of the time. You have to fill out the SLPs, but you can change them to say whatever you want, for each...
I have a 9yo, a 3yo, and a baby, all boys. We love circle- when I try sometimes not to do it, the boys revolt! We go for a walk every morning, and then come in and do circle, first thing. They take turns lighting the candle, and the other gets to blow it out at the end. It is a bit of a challenge sometimes, making a circle for such an age range, but including the little hand plays that are typical for preschoolers is usually really fun for the older kids, too, and...
Our state requires that school districts accept for part time enrollment any child who would be accepted as a regular (full time) student. In practice this seems to work best if the parents are strong advocates for their choice, and the children are taking particular classes (gym, art, spanish, math, etc.) instead of trying to work out something where the kids are in school for the whole day only part of the week (just Tuesdays, for example).
Oh my gosh, I'm dying, these are so funny! My FIL told me "it would never fly in Iowa" when I told him DS was taking vacation while he was visiting. When I asked what wouldn't fly (meaning kids taking a break from school to visit their grandparents, or, you know, in-laws showing up for a week in the middle of the school year, or what) he said "homeschooling". Apparently there aren't any homeschoolers in Iowa. And even if there were, they would, of course, follow the...