or Connect

Posts by berry987

This is an old thread, but I'm hoping to revive it as we embark on GAPS. I've attempted the GAPS intro twice in the last year. I've caved after three days both times! The first time I tired to get the whole family to do it and I think that imploded because I hadn't prepared well, so I was making bone broth pretty much non-stop the whole time and was so exhausted and grumpy and dealing with whining kids I just couldn't take it. The second time I attempted it on my own and...
I'm an ex-vegan. And ex-vegetarian. I became a vegetarian when I was 16, a vegan at 19 (after reading Diet for a New America), went back to lacto-ovo vegetarianism after a little over a year, then became a meat eater (chicken and fish) at 24, then vegetarian again at 28, then a full-fledged meat eater at 30. I'm now 37 and have eaten a traditional foods diet for about 3 years.   I gained a tremendous amount of weight as a vegetarian. I was a "bad" vegetarian in my...
I voted 2 years because my kids are two years apart (except the last two, who are 3 years apart) - 8, 6, 4 and 1 - and that's what I know. But honestly, it's hard. I love how close they all are, how they go outside together and plan games and build forts and share secrets. But they all are still so young and require so much of us and it is exhausting. I am sandwiched 18 months between my two sisters and we were very close as kids and still are...best friends, really. I...
My husband got the job in Missoula!! We are moving at the end of October and are so excited. We told the kids last night and it went well...hopefully the transition won't be too rough.   If there are any Missoula parents on here, I'd love to hear from you. We have four kids (7, 5, 3 and 10 months) and are looking for info on elementary schools (private and public), preschools, where to buy raw milk (we come from WI where its also illegal, but we were able to find a...
Bumping also -- my husband interviewed for a job in Missoula today and thinks it went very well. We live in Wisconsin and while I've always thought Missoula sounded wonderful I'm nervous/scared/excited about a possible move. We just moved here from the East coast two years ago, so this will more change for our four children. I'd love to hear from some people in Missoula - do you love it, hate it, somewhere in between?   We should know by next week if we're moving!
We follow a whole foods diet - grass fed meat, seafood, organic vegetables and fruit with limited wheat and dairy. I was a vegetarian for 6 years and a vegan for 1 year (whole foods too) but my health is much better as an omnivore. I struggled with weight issues and severe acne (painful cystic acne) before. My skin, my weight, my energy levels, all of it, are much better eating a more balanced diet.
I just want to add that there are "functional" orthodontists who do not do extractions. My 7 year old has a crowded mouth and we are talking about putting in some kind of jaw expander (goes on roof of the mouth, you turn a dial every few weeks). Our ortho thinks it shoud solve the problem and he wont need further work. At this age their jaws are very malleable. We are also focusing heavily on nutrition - fclo, butter oil, broth, etc.
What about soaked oatmeal? I mix in a big dollop of unsalted butter, coconut oil, some maple syrup and blueberries. So creamy and delicious and It satisfies my kids' cravings for cereal.
Have you read "Deep Nutrition" by Cate Shanahan? Excellent resource on the topic of nutrition and jaw structure.
This is sort of related to another post, but I didn't want to piggy back so I'm starting my own thread. My daughter is almost 9 months old and formula fed (with some donated milk early on) because I am 100% unable to breastfed (won't go into details but she is my 4th child and after trying everything under the sun with all of my children, I know this to be true). My older children drink raw milk, but we are new to it and I have not had the nerve to make raw milk formula...