or Connect

Posts by gypsymama2008

I come at this from the Paleo perspective, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.  I personally do not limit coconut oil and probably eat more than you do.  I distinguish between oils from foods that are naturally oily (ie coconuts, avacados, olives) and oils that must be chemically extracted from food (corn, canola, vegetable).  They have quite different chemical make ups and act very differently in the body.  I do not limit fats I consider healthy.  I...
Eggs, canned tuna, canned salmon are all reasonably priced. I make tuna and salmon cakes and everyone loves them (just omit the flour from a traditional recipe.  My local health food store carries super healthy and delicious bacon that's expensive but the bacon ends are half priced and I buy those and use them in salads.  Perhaps a store near you has a program like that.  Buy in season fruits and veggies.  Bananas, oranges, and apples are reasonably good buys right now. ...
My family loves roasted sweet potatoes.  I peel and cube the sweet potatoes and pour some spices over them (tonight I did basil and crushed garlic) and a couple T of coconut oil.  So good and everyone loves it!   Kale chips are also a big hit.   Sauteed bok choi with capers.   My DD also LOVES celery, jicama, and carrots with almond butter so sometimes I just put those our for her, if I'm feeling uninspired.   Coleslaw, I've been adding mango and jicama,...
You might want to consider coconut oil for baking, because it's hard to taste and it acts so much like butter. 
I'm kind of confused about the way your talking about Obamacare.  It's not a form of insurance coverage.  It's not like you'll be able to choose from United Healthcare, Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Obamacare.  You will still have whichever insurance you currently have and the medical offices that take your insurance now will probably keep accepting it then. I believe the income eligibility will be raised for medicaid so more people will be on that, but that's the only form...
My most effective methods for eating frugally were to make everything from scratch.  You can easily make bread (Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day is my favorite book about bread baking if I (a kitchen dunce) can make bread following this method anyone can), granola (this is super cheap to make if you buy bulk ingredients, my favorite recipe is chai spice), oatmeal, muffins, energy bars, pancakes, crepes, waffles, hummus, even salad dressings.  This makes breakfast and...
Oooh!  What a great idea!   I have three:   1. I want to stop eating out so much.  We've been so bad about that this year, while I was pregnant I had absolutely zero interest in cooking-I did sometimes, but we got in the bad habit of eating out a ton.  Now that he's born I've kinda gotten my cooking mojo back so I want to get back on track with meal planning and the like.   2. Have a no spend month.  I want one month where we have no frivolous spending (only...
We love Tj's!  Here are our favorite things:   Vanilla extract Gourmet Cheeses (cheapest prices I've every seen, we get lots of grass fed and/or raw cheeses-for the holidays they have an English cheddar with chocolate shavings mixed in-sooo good!) Hummus and other miscellaneous dips Lunch meat (although it is kind of expensive) Turkey hot dogs Baguettes Wine (they have super cheap but good wines) Jello cups Yogurt Chopped Kale mix which I love...
I'm sorry you're struggling, Mama :(  It sounds like you've tried a lot.  The one thing that helped us, was that I wouldn't nurse DD until after she'd gotten up and had breakfast.  If she knew she was allowed to nurse in bed at any point, she would wake up every hour thinking it was time to nurse.  Once we just took nursing out of the equation for night time, we all started to sleep better.  Also, if there's anyone who would be willing to try taking him for the night or...
Lachlan Nolan Ian Galen Rory