or Connect

Posts by gypsymama2008

You've got a ton of great suggestions here.  The only thing I would add, is to buy bulk oatmeal (rolled oats or steel-cut) and try and make that for breakfast at least 2 mornings a week, it's super cheap and very filling.  My DD likes mashed bananas and peanut butter in hers (sometimes Nutella for a special treat).  We generally put in whatever fruit we happen to have on hand (peaches have been a big hit this week).    Also, for dairy free, coconut oil works as a...
I'm not sure how many home birth midwives are in the area, but I did have a friend who had  a home birth with a midwife in Ashland, so I know there's at least one.  My guess would be that Ashland would be very midwife-friendly since it's such a crunchy town.  There are lots of home schoolers in Oregon, and home school groups.  You would probably find more resources in the Salem area than the Ashland area, but I'm sure there's something.  The laws are fairly reasonable...
Hmmm, I went to college in Ashland and I truly adore it, it's such a funky hippie town, but in terms of raising children, I personally would choose Salem.  There's more of a variety in educational opportunities, entertainment, and extra curricular activities.  But that's just me personally, I grew up in Portland (50 miles north of Salem) so I'm used to a bigger city and Ashland just felt a bit too small town-ish for me.     However if you're okay with that you'd...
Hmmm, I wouldn't call myself an expert on raw milk, especially raw cows milk but I've been researching it lately.  What a lot of people do is take the cream off the top and make it into butter, that's what the families I know who get raw milk do.  Here is a link about how to make it: raw butter.  I've heard raw milk can last at least a week after milking, probably longer.  I wish I had more info for you, hopefully when we start getting our own raw milk in a few weeks...
My little brother was breastfed until he was three and I don't think it was an issue that ever really came up with his friends and I certainly don't ever remember him being teased about it.  He's twenty now and ridiculously well adjusted, gets along with everyone and has absolutely no over attachment to our parents (if anything I think they wish he was a little more attached).  To be honest every person I've ever talked to who can remember being nursed as a child has...
If you can do a couple of meals with beans it really saves money.  One of the easiest meals I do is to saute an onion in EVOO, pour in beans (either canned or dried and cooked-any type will work) and two cans of tomatoes I add salt and a few spices, it makes a great soup. I serve it with homemade bread and/or rice, add a veggie or salad and it's a really good meal.  If you get a whole chicken you can stretch it over several meals.  If you make chicken stock that can be...
Fijian Creamy Lentil Soup.  It's fairly easy and so good (I sometimes substitute canned tomatoes for fresh and ground ginger), it's also ridiculously cheap.  With bread and a salad it's a filling meal.
I just found this recipe for cucumber jelly and am intrigued.
I use this and it works pretty well-I sometimes also use TTO with it  and that lasts all day (you can also use other EOs if you like having a scent-I sometimes use peppermint or eucalyptus)  A little baking soda mixed with water under the arm also works amazingly well.
Well, I wouldn't call myself an expert in the slightest but what I have been doing is dissolving about 3 tablespoons baking soda in about a cup and 1/2 of water and putting about six drops of Rosemary EO and sometimes the same amount of peppermint (it works fine without the EOs but I like the smell).  I pour it over my hair so it covers it all and then wash it out.  For a rinse I put 1/2 cup white vinegar (you can also use apple cidar vinegar which I've heard is supposed...