or Connect

Posts by rhubarbarin

Make a hut or two out of stacked straw bales. Make sure they have two exits so nothing can corner them. Cheap and will keep them very warm and dry. This is what my nice farmer neighbors did for their large feral cat population.
Through no choice of my own (one I found abandoned and half-dead outside, the other was dumped on me by an irresponsible acquaintance) I got both my cats when they were under 5 weeks old. Both did fine without milk supplements, both thrived, and both are happy, healthy and on the large side 4 and 2 years later. I wouldn't worry too much if he is growing. The real concern is social issues as PP have said. My older cat has aggression issues which I am convinced stem from...
Aw, I'm so sorry. So nice of you to try everything you could, but your health comes before having a pet in the house. I really don't know what to suggest. No caged animals would be appropriate for a 4-year-old to cuddle. Your best bet might be a breed of cat or dog known to be better for people with allergies (very little dander).. Sphinx or Rex for cats (they are funny-looking, but great personalities) and there are lots of dog breeds that are supposed to be good for...
Quote: Originally Posted by lilyka its weird. I think 2-3 is on small side, 4-5 is good sized, 6-8 is large and 9+ is really big....Four really seems average around here. I seriously think almost every married family i know has 4 kids or more. I don't know why anyone would raise an eyeborw about 3.... Hey, I grew up in Brookings, just an hour away from Sioux Falls! In the Midwest it seemed like 3 or more kids were the norm. Now that I live...
I successfully trained mine to stop barking on command. Every time they barked, I made my 'no' noise (I give a sharp 'EH'), which they know means they have to stop what they are doing. Then the instant they stopped barking, I praised, called them over, had them sit, and gave a treat. Of course this took some time and they still bark, especially when a dog is going by outside or someone is at the door. But they stop as soon as I tell them, come running over and give me a...
Unbelievable. Thank god your dog lived through it! Poor baby. Animals can die very quickly from being shaken like that. My Kea almost did, 12 years ago...
Reading can cause eyestrain, but that doctor was a jerk. How dare he. I still get headaches from reading and computer work, and I have prescription glasses. Didn't when I was a young child and got them then too (I was an obsessive reader, but started later than her), but more often and worse. It could be other things, though. Headaches are just a part of life in my family, we all get them usually starting as children.
This is a major peeve for me. I am a dog person, but I hate being jumped on, clawed, and mouthed. Many dog people seem to love it though.. and few who allow their dogs to do this understand that other people might not think it's sweet. I don't care about hurting feelings though, I will knee a dog off me or grab their collar and yank them away. No one touches me if I don't want them to, that includes dogs. I am fostering the WORST JUMPER ever, so I understand for...
I think most 5-year-olds are capable of that (maybe not handling it in the same way this kiddo did, but certainly they could navigate a strange place if they were used to doing so, follow directions, and pay for their own stuff), but most don't get the opportunity... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't know if I would be comfortable letting such a little kid handle this without be being able to at least see where he was. In normal circumstances. If I was 15 months...
I certainly wouldn't want to live my life like 99% of the people I know, but they are doing the best they can. I try not to feel superior and I very rarely criticize people. I do my best not to get involved in conversations that involve judging people/groups.. but I don't worry about judging people in my own thoughts. It's natural. If someone asks advice - their feelings come first, over my honest opinion. I used to get too wrapped up in other people's...