or Connect

Posts by rhubarbarin

I think most of the stuff you hear about birth-order is nonsense myself. Every family and every kid is different. I'll believe there are universal tendencies in third-borns when I read a peer-reviewed study clearly showing evidence for them... Your boy is a very special little kid! What determination.
OP, I have more in common with the views of your stepfather than I do with you on this matter. Despite being a gun-fearing, suburban, liberal, animal-lover - I am not soft-hearted and while I think we should seek to minimize animal pain, there's nothing wrong with killing them, and it's a big part of life that doesn't harm children to experience. But I still feel that he should respect your values. He didn't, and that's wrong. If he can't agree to cooperate with your...
Quote: Again, I don't think anyone here is saying 'pedophilia' what we are saying is that there are men, and maybe a large percentage, who would ultimately prefer a younger, less experienced, less opinionated girl over an older, more experienced woman who isn't concerned with the smoothness of her armpits. Do you really not believe there are men out there like that? So you think body hair=physical age, emotional maturity and outspokenness. And body...
Sounds like Neapolitan Mastiffs to me. I have seen some really funky-looking ones in person, although most of the google images a search brought up were more attractive. They are the right size, have the giant neck and the odd, lumbering gait, they are black or gray. It might have been an optical illusion that they had bald patches.. many Neapolitans have brindling or lighter areas that could look that way. Here is a pic of a particularly boar-ish one:...
I shave and epilate nearly everything. I believe it is a purely personal choice for everyone, and I don't see much difference between me shaving my pits, and men shaving their faces (or not, or partially). I don't think I will say much about it to my kids other than to answer questions they might have and stress that it's their choice and no one should try to shame them for it. I was totally natural body-hair-wise until age 19 or so (I rejected the whole idea because I...
I don't use any substances myself (I did smoke a lot of pot for about a year a few years back, but being high/drunk just doesn't do much for me) but I think they should all be legal and regulated. I don't know anyone personally in my age group (I am 24) who thinks weed is a big bad scary thing or that people deserve jail time for it.. and most older people I know think it's a bit ridiculous as well. As for the whole dealer issue.. lol. To people who think people dealing...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluegoat You know, it sounds odd, but it's not actually totally obvious that all living creatures feel pain. There was a time when scientists believed that no animals felt pain - that they reacted to certain stimuli, but their perception was not pain in the way humans feel it. I suspect the attitude to babies is related to this closely - the idea that an essential component to pain is the ability to anticipate and...
Quote: Originally Posted by melamama I do all the things you suggest (we go through lots of Nature's miracle). He is also the first dog we have ever had (or known) who will willingly and repeatedly pee in his crate. Just like peeing everywhere else, he never makes any signal that he needs to go, and never seems to care (our last lab would have been incredibly embarrassed if he had an accident in the house, and never in the crate). Thanks for the...
I totally don't understand where the people criticizing you are coming from. Personally I don't think naked bodies, pubic hair, or nipples are inherently sexual so I wouldn't consider frank discussion of them 'sex education' at all. I don't think children should be kept 'innocent' or are totally asexual (obviously they are not sexually active nor should they be, but they have sexual feelings practically from infancy) and I think it's important to inform them about the real...
I think I saw the same cartoon in grade 5 (I was 11)! I had comprehensive sex ed at my schools grades 5, 7, and 9. I don't recall being surprised or disgusted by the material although many of my peers were very freaked out.. there was lots of giggling and gossip for a long time afterward. I would be happy to have my kids see what you described, and I think it's a bit dumb but not at all inappropriate. Probably not true for as many kids of MDC moms, but most kids in...