or Connect

Posts by rhubarbarin

I think it's a 100% personal choice of the pet owner. I think there are more cons - meaning more money to the vet, and increased risk of death and injury - when you let your cat outside. However there's no denying they LOVE to be outside, and it stimulates them in a way nothing inside can. I live in an apartment building, that is the main reason my cats are indoor only. I plan on moving to a house with a yard at some point, and I will probably allow my one cat to...
I live in an apartment too, and I findf eeding raw quite easy. I take meat out of the fridge, cut it if nessesary (on the meat-only cutting board), put it in 5 clean metal pet-bowls, and the cats eat on the table and the dogs on the floor. If the dogs have a big piece to gnaw they eat on top of a designated towel that is washed after one use. I wipe them down with a baby wipe if they have blood on their legs or face. Afterwards I wash and disinfect (mild bleach...
Both my dogs do this. I think it's just a form of fidgeting or self-comfort. Both of my dogs tend to be a little anxious. When they really get into it they will lick their bed too, or your hand if you put it in front of them. I wouldn't worry about it, I think it's common.
Quote: rhubarbarin Oh thank you thank you thank you...every time I check this thread I find myself cringing a bit. It is good to have some possitive feedback. I also think I researched quite a bit more than the average person would. I am keeping in mind that alot of people on this forum have professional lives with dogs, and therefore have very strong opinions on the subject. But, I tried my best, and I am happy with my decision. Allthough I have learned some...
I have a Tibetan Terrier with a terrible flea allergy and sensitive skin (she's white to boot). She is very healthy otherwise and I feed her raw, but ONE flea bite and she will start to chew herself bloody. I don't use chemical (or any other - they don't need it) flea control on my other dog or my three cats, but I use K9 Advantix on her. I don't WANT to use chemicals, but over the last 11 years I have found that nothing else works, and when her skin is irritated, she...
Quote: I came on here hoping for some good advice, and thank you for those of you who have given that to me. But these comments to me are very offensive. I don't appreciate being called ignorant, or implying that I am not capable of understanding basic terms. This thread has mostly just made me sad now, and is making me question my decision. And that is not what I wanted. I feel like I am being pushed to say "your right, my dog sucks, I'll give him back." You...
I agree with what others have been telling you: it's nearly impossible to win trust from feral cats past a certain age. I have never suceeded - I have one feral cat who is now indoor only, and while I can handle her now without her injuring me, she will never be a good 'pet'. She's effectively still a wild animal, even though she's been living inside my home for 3 years, since I found her as a young cat. I had great sucess several years ago taking a litter of three...