or Connect

Posts by rhubarbarin

I'm sorry your husband isn't helping you with this. You need time to yourself, you deserve it, and it's not fair that he gets two whole hours per day to decompress at the gym. If the two hours he's going are the only two hours he has, he will just have to go four days a week instead of 7. Instead of telling him how much you need some 'me' time and hoping he will give it to you... could you just take it? Make a plan to go do something you enjoy for a few hours 2-3 days per...
This is the worst. Labs are big dogs - that's a lot of pee. Have you ruled out medical issues? There are several things that cause incontinence and medication can help. It does sound though like he just never 'got' house training. Some ideas: Clean all his pee areas with multiple applications of Nature's Miracle. Work on crate training him, if he isn't already. Keep him crated when he's not supervised. As much as possible when you are home, keep him on a lead at your...
Quote: Originally Posted by Cherie2 This mother you speak of sounds very much like my own mother. Her mother died when she was 13, she spent her adolescence with sisters that really were very much busy with their own lives and young families. She married at 17 and had 2 babies within a year with an abusive husband. After leaving him and playing house with my dad for a few years she was out. She spent the next 25 years living out her adolescence. I...
You are absolutely right about the exercise, and I think your husband should be doing his part with that. Weimeraners need a ton! My friend has two.. luckily he is a marathon runner and the dogs go with him, 5-10 miles per day. ETA: Oh, I forgot. I just wanted to say I support you rehoming this dog. He sounds like a nice boy - but he's out-of-control and seriously stressing you. It's great that you are going to try to work with him, but if it doesn't work out (I don't...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride How on earth can you possible know that? Do you have any idea how many women don't talk about it - ever? They simply don't discuss it. They've internalized the very clear message that they did something wrong. I'm not sure I even know 10,000 women - but I'm sure I know women who were molested who have never told me about it. And, again - how do you know? I was talking to someone I went to school with at my 15...
Certainly try supplements, but if they don't work, I would say dog diapers (which require more frequent bathing), or euthanasia. No one should have to live with their pet peeing all over their house, and I'm sure she would be miserable with no house access. My dog has always had a small/weak bladder and she's getting worse with the accidents as she ages (she's 13 now). She's okay most of the time with frequent potty breaks, but her big problem is leaking right after she...
Good luck with Beanie! I'm sorry this happened and your poor ds was hurt and scared. I have the sweetest, softest dog in the world but he has bitten me twice (in the early days before we understood each other). We've done a lot of work and I can do anything to him now. It's normal for dogs to bite, but there are many ways to teach them not to! I'm glad you are going to try to solve the problem and it sounds like you are doing a lot of good things. Hope it doesn't happen...
Why don't you ask your breeder if she can help you find an adult female Ragdoll who has experience with kids and the personality you are looking for? Kittens can change quite a bit as they grow.. All my (neutered) male cats have been relaxed cuddlebunnies and the two (spayed) female cats I have had were both crazy (in different ways). Both my girls were also extremely clever and thoughtful. Boys had varying levels of intelligence, and the current one is a bit slow....
Could be a cyst. My 13-yo Tibetan Terrier has had one on her side for about 4 years.. it gets a little bigger every year. They are common in older dogs. It's firm (a bit rubbery-feeling if you press on it), smooth, round, under the surface of the skin, and will move around a bit if you apply pressure. The oozing would concern me. I think you should take her in.. even if it's just a benign cyst that's causing her no pain, at this point it's really an open 'wound' and...
Most people I know now don't 'baby-proof'.. meaning childproof locks, baby gates, outlet covers, electrical cords away, covering corners on furniture, all sharp objects and chemicals securely away, etc. Accidents happen, of course, but I don't know anyone with a kid that's been severely injured/killed by household accidents that would be cause by not 'proofing'.. Personally I am lazy and would rather be able to turn my (future) kids loose and not have to supervise...