or Connect

Posts by rhubarbarin

The majority of people with kids I know do this. It didn't happen in my family, but it was because my parents couldn't afford childcare and we didn't have family nearby - my mom would have preferred to shop, etc without us along.
Pursue tutoring for her - if it's this stressful she needs that extra boost. I got diagnosed with a learning disability in math (often called dyscalculia) - finally - in high school. I never really progressed past a 4th grade level. Nothing sticks and I have trouble with even the basics of logic/strategy.. can't even do a crossword. I am also rotten at memorizing so formulas and rhymes to remember are out. Luckily, in real life I never use anything much past the basics...
I was a totally unmotivated kid (I was also very unhappy, but people didn't know) and teenager. I drove my mom absolutely nuts. I flunked out of high school. It's a long story, but to make it short: I have developed into a happy, fulfilled adult who loves learning for the fun of it (and has a ton of hobbies), who has been supporting myself (and multiple pets) since 18, and I am financially responsible, debt free and in a healthy romantic relationship. I am not doing...
Quote: Originally Posted by Viola We love "Phineas and Ferb" on Disney Channel in our house. They gotta be gifted to enact all their crazy plans. I saw my first episode of Phineas and Ferd the other day; love the concept (two super-genius inventor step-brothers spending their summer vacation building incredible things under their parent's oblivious noses, to the aggravation of their bossy older sister)! The particular episode, though, had me...
I wouldn't call this a debunking. All (or nearly all) mammals have a status system. I do think there's been an obsession the last few decades with 'dominance' and pack theory in dogs, especially pertaining to aggression and misbehavior, and it's become this overly simplistic way to look at everything a dog does.. dogs are complex individuals. It's not that simple. I'm not a big fan of hardcore dominance training - it's so easy to do it wrong. But nearly every...
While I agree you can't be too careful - so many kids are sexually abused - I was obsessed with sex as young child and I said such things to my friends. There was never any inappropriate touching (did kiss a lot of friends when I was little, but no tongue!) and I wasn't sexually active until age 19. So.. could be a big deal, could mean nothing, depends on the kid. It's normal IMO for children to be curious about sex and say such things, it's even normal to be sexual, but...
I agree that money isn't worthy of respect per se, but I do think it's a serious matter and kids should be taught to use it correctly and responsibly from a young age. I think it would be very weird to allow your DS to give away 5 dollar bills to his friends because he likes them, etc. I think the idea behind that desire is positive and should be cultivated - but give the friend a compliment and a hug, not cash. He is 8, right? I think it's important for him to learn at...
What you described is pretty intense. The 'flabby' comments are very worrying as well. People who have this degree of perfectionism and self-criticism often have a very hard time of it.. Personally, I am a big believer in counseling (it's important to find the right one that she can open up to) before anything goes wrong..
My dog is crazy about fly catching and yes, he does swallow them. Never had a problem or thought twice about it. It's odd because he won't play with or chase anything else.
I started my period today. Oh well. I can't believe all those symptoms! Way to get me all revved up, stupid cycle!