or Connect

Posts by rhubarbarin

No, I don't. I'm an easy-going person who has a good sense of boundaries and a lot of empathy. I get along with nearly everyone. As long as they are also kind and reasonable people I'm sure my (future) kid's (future) spouses will love me and I will love them. If they are unreasonable or unkind.. well.. I will grit my teeth and bear it and try to still get along for my child's sake. I love my own MIL very much and like to spend time with her and help her with things. She's...
My 80-lb dog needs about 2000 (I read something about caloric needs of dogs and their weight), so I would assume yours needs about 1600? I wouldn't worry about calorie content with a raw-fed dog - it's going to depend on what cuts you're feeding him. If he gets a fatty part one day, that's going to be many more calories than meaty bones the next day, yk? If you are concerned about him getting too much or too little, do it by weight. 2-3% of body weight per day is...
I have had great success going from kibble one day, straight to chicken parts the next. Necks and wings are manageable for even the smallest dogs. Just be careful with organ meats, or cuts which contain a great deal of muscle or fat - too-rich food can cause diarrhea. I feed my pets a wide variety of animals, both parts and whole ground - beef, beef tripe, pork, mutton, goat, turkey, duck, chicken, rabbit, mouse, salmon, white fish - mostly from hare-today.com.
I believe in treating both pets and kids with respect and gentleness, and in mostly positive methods. However I am quick to knock a jumping dog off with my knee and to shout out a 'NO' when someone's misbehaving, and I am firm about behavior I consider rude.
Everyone's indoor here (three dogs, three cats). The dogs get walked every day, and we go hiking and to the dog park, etc on weekends, but they rarely have off-leash outdoor time.
I think this girl's situation is really hard. There's not going to be an easy solutions.. bigeyes you are doing a great job, thank goodness she has you. The food issues are really troubling. I was on the opposite end of the spectrum as a kid (underweight/didn't want to eat), but my mom was really controlling about food and it was really damaging for me. I think it's better that she eat too much and gain weight, then it is for you to actively police her. Modeling good...
I think the OP is more concerned because the gain was very sudden and extreme, and her daughter seems so hungry all the time.
There truly is a wide range of normal. I was 89 lbs at 5'3" for my first menses at age 14, grew 2 more inches the next couple years while gaining only 5-6 more pounds, then stabilized until last year when I finally gained a little weight (now I'm 105 at 5'5'', and nearly 24 years old). I still have the figure of a 12-year-old and I would prefer to look like a woman! I think it's much more important that she is allowed to eat when she is hungry, and she learns to...
I was a highly imaginative child, but I have a good memory of events from age 3 onwards- I definitely knew the difference between whatever I was 'pretending' at the moment and how the real world worked! However - I enjoyed losing myself in my imagination so much I did it all the time regardless of how approving adults were. I spent 90% of my time at that age pretending I was one animal or another and acting accordingly, and it wasn't a good mesh with school...
I don't have any kids yet- I started at 14. I started with breast buds and hair at around 11, but menses just took a while to show up (also I was really thin). Anecdotally - I drank about a 1/2 gallon of whole milk a day growing up! My sisters at 12. My mom and her 4 sisters at 12-13. My grandmother at 12. Puberty is starting a little earlier for girls these days, but if you look at the charts it's only a few months earlier on average, than 40 years ago. I hardly...