or Connect

Posts by rhubarbarin

Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride When I got my period, I was about 5'1". I grew another 4" over the next couple of years, and stopped at my current height of 5'5". My sister grew 7" after she got her period at age 12, leveling off at 5'10"! I had a bunch of female friends who put on 20, 30, 40 lbs in a year or two during puberty. I think it is quite normal, and it usually does level off. But it's something that's very hard for young...
My dogs bark like CRAZY when someone is at the door (until I tell them to knock it off, then they're quiet). They always peer at the person and growl at first, then if it's someone they like they will say hi and wag a bit. If it's a stranger or someone they hardly know, my older dog will keep her distance but doesn't seem fazed- my younger dog, who's a bit insecure, stay far away and stares mistrustfully for a long time, lol. I think it's mostly because no one ever...
I have them and love them! I have one cat who's a ridiculous litter-kicker and two dogs that love to eat cat poop, so they've saved me hours of sweeping! My cats jumped right in them and went when I got them, but they aren't picky about their litter boxes.
I've done some fostering and I've.. well, not 'tried to adopt', but 'expressed interest in possibly adopting from' some no-kill rescues and been totally rebuffed by their attitudes and often stringent requirements. While I think they are all providing a valuable service and I think they're trying to do their best, I do think there's a lot of holier-than-thou attitudes (or sometimes a downright rude one), and a lot of silly rules sometimes.. but I'm not going to argue...
My purebred (but pet quality) Tibetan Terrier from a reputable breeder was $700 to adopt. Plus the cost of driving 3 states to pick her up, equipment (she was the first dog my family had), some vaxes, spay, and puppy classes. Then she was attacked by our neighbor's dog while I was walking her on the leash and almost died - vet bills there ran about $3,000, but our neighbor paid it all (thank goodness). For the next 7 years we lived at my parents house and my family was...
Quote: Originally Posted by rayo de sol Punishment doesn't work for cats. If you spray her with water--or god forbid, hit her--it will just make her associate YOUR PRESENCE with punishment. Cats CAN'T connect behavior that humans find objectionable with punishment. They won't be able to understand why they're being treated harshly. Also, it seems cruel to punish her for her strong instinct to go outside. Maybe she can stay inside your personal room...
For me, there are two choices: rescue, or a purebred from a reputable, repsonsible breeder. There are no guarantees with dogs. They can have every advantage in the world - a good breeder, great parentage, health testing, superior nutrition - and still have issues. They can be descended from the mangiest mutts imaginable, grow up half-starved, be abused and still turn out to be great family dogs. The key I think is having a good understanding of dog behavior and...
In the past 4 years I have spent about $600 total in vet costs on my two dogs and 3 cats. Most of that money was to spay/neuter, worm and vax my cats when they were kittens. I don't take them to the vet unless there's something wrong, except for rabies vaxes every 3 years. So far I have been lucky, and they've all had perfect health.
I refused to brush my teeth growing up, even while I had braces (yes, they were always full of food and it was gross). My teeth got AT BEST a perfunctory brushing once every couple days for about 10 years. I had two 'cavities' filled when I was a teen, but I've never had any tooth pain or discomfort. I started brushing at least once a day about 5 years ago, but I don't floss. I have nicely shaped teeth that are whiter than most people's despite all the tea I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Calee I know that this isn't going to go over well with the parents of 17 year olds that are perfect in every way And, I also know, that in ANY situation not EVERYONE fits into the same category. BUT. I have noticed that 17 (and 18 and 19 and 21 and 25) seem to be getting younger and younger as far as responsibility and maturity. Yes, for many, when you/we were 17 we held jobs, lived on our own, etc. HOWEVER, in...