or Connect

Posts by moocowma

Quote: Originally Posted by zersha In my case, I am pretty sure most of my professors will remember me from last semester. Would I still need to include all that background info? It's a good idea. Most professors have 2-4 courses they teach each semester and several people each semester ask for letters. They may/may not have good memories about individual students. As a pp said, whatever you can do to make their job easier, the better.
I'm living off mine. I look at it like many of the pp. Also, I think it's similar to an investment in my future. Instead of paying for a mortgage and car payments or something like that, I'll be (hopefully) paying off a house and my student loans. Well, at least, the bank can't take back my brain.
Good luck to all as the semester gets under way. It'll be worth it in the end, right? Right?
My DS is 2 and we're in the midst of traveling back home. We have a long train ride scheduled tomorrow, but he spent most of yesterday vomiting and napping. He hasn't thrown up in about eight hours now and continues to nurse. Normally, I would change our departure date, but with the holiday travel beginning, most of the trains are booked later in the week. We can't afford to extend our vacation into next week, but I don't know what to do. Would you take your DC on the...
Holly and Majazmama: Thanks for your input. Like you, Holly, we're hoping to find a place where our kids can envision themselves as being capable of being who they want to be. As Arab citizens of Israel, they are definitely in a second class. Their prospects are far better in the US in that respect, but my husband just doesn't feel at home in the US at all. He is also really concerned about their educational prospects. The schools in Israel have been privatized and the...
I love when my 2 yo nurses and is still sweet and cuddly. I love that when he is sick and won't eat or drink anything else, I am there. I love that he still giggles with joy when he sees "boobies!" However, he seems to nurse as much as he ever did. He wants to nurse all the time, even though he eats plenty of food and drinks plenty of liquids. I'm starting to get tired of the non-stop nursing and I hate that. Help me stick with this and see that these years really...
Hi Mamas: I'm from the U.S. and my DH is from Israel. We have two kids; I'm finishing up grad school and he has a degree as a dental technician. We have talked in the past about moving to Canada when I am finished with school, because it seems more open to internationals and the education seems to be a higher standard than what we have in the U.S. or in Israel. (We homeschool right now.) Just wanted to get some thoughts from those who live there ... is it really "one...
Quote: Originally Posted by EdnaMarie We're one of those families. We have two religions, too- I'm Christian and DH is Muslim. We eat a wide variety of foods, but boxed pasta meals are not one of them. Heh. My DH has also been very lazy in speaking with DD in her language. I could just hit him over the head with something. How will they speak with their grandmother??? : That pretty much describes us and our boys. It is interesting to...
Is there an International center at the university where your DH is going to grad school? Or a grad student housing area that has a community center? At FSU, those are two places where the international students often find folks from their home countries or at least fellowship with others who are in the same boat. It does take a huge amount of time. My DH has lived most of his adult life in the West and it was only after he had a job and friends of his own that he had...
Quote: Originally Posted by WilliamsMama Cappucinosmom, I used to teach in Harlem. The area where I worked was predominantly Afr.American but has a quickly growing African population. Yes- I did notice a lot of ill treatment toward Africans by Afr. Americans, even by students in my school (obviously learning it from their parents). I'm not sure what it stems from, but there's a lot of animosity there. More than once, I had to have the whole "Black...