or Connect

Posts by Hope-Faith-Charity

I am a real fan of Waldorf but...I would pull my child if I was experiencing what you seem to be and the school was unresponsive. I know of a number of situations where parents did this for a time until the situation had calmed down. Are other parents concerned? Can you go as a group, which would be even better, and tell the school you are all prepared to pull your children unless something is done?   Our school now has a policy that any physical attack leads to the...
Wow...what a great question. It's so general, though --  I find myself wondering what research you are particularly thinking of, and how you think the education should change to accommodate this?   Every primary teacher my children have had seems to be changing and developing the education by trying new things. For example, my younger child is now learning about early Chinese culture in 7th grade, the older learned computer programming in 8th grade, and there is an...
I agree with knittygritty on all these points. There are certainly major differences in schools and their communities. The private schools are naturally limited socio-economically, but it sounds like the public school in your area may serve much the same economic range. It's definitely worth looking at the schools; go to an event or two (concerts, plays, festivals) and you probably will fairly quickly discover which is right for you. Do be vocal if you see that there is...
There is no anthroposophical dogma about weaning, bed-sharing, or anything else...just a bunch of people expressing their views. I've noticed that many anthroposophical doctors suggest weaning between 6mos. - 1 year, or a bit longer. It worked well for us, but every child and family are unique... Same with bed-sharing; some children need this longer than others, but some people see the step to sleeping alone as a foundation for independence in other ways. I don't know if...
It varies from school to school...our school went through a period of mixing festivals from various traditions. Now we've just transitioned away from this and are avoiding referring to any festivals by names that identify them with any particular tradition. So there is no longer Michaelmas in September, a Festival of Light in late December, etc. We are trying to identify what is special about each time of year, and how to bring these qualities out without tying them to a...
I'd like to share a few stories of Waldorf alumni I have personally run into over the years who were critical of their education at various stages: -- An alumna of our Waldorf school wanted to be an art teacher, but definitely not constrain the children's creativity as she felt hers had been constrained in the early years. She was hired by a public school and went into her first class, a first grade, with a rich offering: pastels, charcoal, crayons, oils, acrylics,...
These are good suggestions. If she has no learning issues, she will very rapidly pick up reading and arithmetic with you; after all, she has been exposed to quite a lot at school, whatever teaching methods they have been using. If you find that even with home support she continues to be challenged to learn, this would be a signal that it would be very important to have an educational assessment done by a professional.   Give it a little time, however; some children...
About 2 years ago I heard a radio report about an Australian study comparing science achievement in Waldorf and non-Waldorf schools. The author, who was doing this for his masters degree I think, found that the Waldorf students had higher science exam scores and were more likely to enter scientific fields than their non-scientific peers. He was pretty surprised, by the way...I think he, like most of us, had ideas about Waldorf science education formed by the early years...
Speaking of Waldorf schools adapting to circumstances (or not): Here is a YouTube video of a Waldorf school in Sierra Leone (and here is Part II).
It just shows how individual Waldorf schools are. Ours also has a large Muslim population and lots of other cultures represented - my son's class has about 10 different native languages spoken at home. The school sponsors various forms of social outreach - bringing food and clothes to the homeless in the area is just one; we have supported schools in Afghanistan and people in Darfur. The list goes on! This developing sense of social responsibility is one of the best...