or Connect

Posts by snowmom5

When two of our kids did OT for SPD (younger at that time, 6 and 4), they did a particular short, intensive program in conjunction with listening therapy, which supposedly helps make the OT more effective. We were very happy with the results. http://www.starcenter.us/ Other than that, I think it may be worth investigating the possibility of nutritional issues. Visit the allergy board here and/or see a nutritionist. I'm in the middle of this now and it's all swirling...
http://www.visualspatial.org/Articles/app2spell.pdf
Thanks for your thoughts ladies. I have a lot to process. I have more questions, not the least of which is, how do you get very picky eaters to completely change how they eat? It's not that bad for me, as a grown up (since I seem to have given up the top 8 so far), but I have a great motivation (baby dd). How do you get older kids to do it? I'm thinking my 3 y.o. is going to be the toughest case, perhaps tied with the toddler, who doesn't eat anything new anyway...
Quote: Originally Posted by LauraLoo Think about this. If he can accomplish a task on the first try, what's mentally engaging about this? Why not look around and check out what else is going on? DS was/is a lot like this. More challenging work helped/helps tremendously. I'd talk to the teacher to see if she can try giving your ds work that he can sink his teeth into. And seriously, if ds knew that I would still dress him and brush his teeth,...
Just a thought, but could there have been anything else in the ice cream that caused the reaction? The way the trial went doesn't entirely make sense to me, having had no reaction to cow milk but then reacted to ice cream. I guess if he did not react to drinking the milk, I would not be afraid to give him milk. But of course not ice cream. Also, along these lines, has anyone ever heard of a person having a GI reaction to milk that has greater amounts of fat in it,...
thanks, ladies, I really, really appreciate your thoughts. My head is still swirling on all of this. It would never have even come to mind if I hadn't been looking into allergy stuff re: BF dd. I started him on rice and oat cereal just prior to 6 months. I never fed him wheat cereal, though I'm sure sometime after 6 months he had a cracker here or there, and by 10 months or so he'd have the occasional pancake. He doesn't eat bread every day. He doesn't eat much of...
two things - on the pork, it just so happens I bought some yesterday, very thinly sliced boneless chops, and cooked one in the grill pan in just a few minutes, with salt. DD loved it. Great quick-cooking alternative - I love quick! on the corn, I'm always so confused - if corn is such a common allergy, then why isn't it in there with the top 8? why isn't it the "top 9"? Just curious, if anyone knows. Corn is one I have not eliminated, yet.
Quote: Originally Posted by purplemoon My oldest just turned 4 a couple months ago and it was suggested by his preschool teacher to get a speech therapist from the district in. I already had an appointment with a speech therapist. They can't understand a lot of what he is saying. But sadly, his speech is actually fine. Sad because his language is delayed by two standard deviation points. They say this is worse. Ugh. He is so good with math and...
Quote: Originally Posted by f&p'smama I read the article more in light of the current health care debate, than being about scaremongering about twins. NICU time is extremely expensive and having twins increases the likelihood that the babies will have NICU time. Fertility treatments increases the odds of having twins. They talked about fertility patients as the "low lying fruit," meaning if they can get more women undergoing IVF to transfer, not...
I think if you really want to know "average", then this isn't the place to ask I think average is probably by the start of K.