or Connect

Posts by mbbinsc

We have dealt with asthma with my 5 yo DD (she also has food allergies).  There are many threads on MDC discussing singulair.  We do not use it with her due to the side effects.  When she gets a virus I will use the nebulizer with pulmicort and xopenex.  I like using xopenex due to less side effects and she can't use the inhled version due to lactose as an ingredient.   I have found some success with magnesium, so will use a cream or epsom salt bath to support her...
My DD is allergic to egg, dairy, peanut, tree nuts and shellfish.  I find the peanut easier to deal with as there is more awareness regarding the severity of peanut allergies.  After one trip to the ER,  a couple years ago, due to a small amount of accidental peanut in our home, I tried to make our church a safer environment for her.  I tried to get paging system, increased education, safe snacks,...but the response of the church was not fast enough to make it safe for...
My almost 13 yo DS had issues with bedwetting and dairy.  Now if he gets too much dairy, he will have acne. 
Happens to my DH with Sulfites.  He started with just hives, then progressed to having greater reactions (GI) until he decided it was not worth the drink for fear of a greater reaction.
My DD had a reaction to  annatto.  She threw up all night long after eating a vegan mac and "cheese" that was colored with annatto.  Once I removed all sources, like in her vitamins, all of her eczema went away.  I found a sample at a spice store and had the allergist do a skin prick.  I am sure he did it just to humor me.  He pricked himself as a control and DD.  He had no reaction while she had a nice size wheel.  He said that it was not something that there were...
Interesting question.  I remember seeing something about rats being turned blue by an experiment to treat spinal cord injuries.  I googled it and found an article on Food Dye lessening spinal cord injuries.  I don't know how to copy/paste a link.  The reason they used the blue dye was that it did cross.  Makes sense to me, seeing how quickly my DS would react to blue and red dye when he was younger.
FAmom, thank you for your insight.  I am learning about 504 plans.  I had a phone conversation with the principal where he asked if I thought that DD could be safe at school.  My response was that my calling in January vs right before school starts indicates how much effort will be needed.  I hope that the school situation for your DC improves.    One mom that had homeschooled her children (prior to going to a charter middle school with my DS) said that we would need...
Thanks again for the input.  I feel compelled to try to work with the school to have a plan in place, just in case homeschooling would not be possible (like I need to get a real job since DH's business slows down). I found some guidelines from other states (South Carolina does not appear to have one) to start our discussions.   I hope that the nurse is up to the challenge!   DDs food allergies have changed my life so much.  I would not have planned to EBF, but did so...
Thank you so much for your comments.  Having input from those that understand what obstacles are present means so much to me.  The more investigation I do, the closer I come to embracing homeschooling.  DH has been hoping for help in his business once DD went to Kindergarten but he can hire someone even if it is not in the best financial interest of the family/business. 
My DD is IgE allergic to dairy, egg, peanut, treenut and shellfish.  Her numbers for egg, dairy and peanut are off the charts in RAST testing.  We have had one ER visit due to an exposure to peanut and carry an epi-pen.  She is in a wonderful pre-school 3 mornings a week.  The snacks they serve in her class are safe for her.  The teacher to child ratio is 2 to 11.  It is time for me to prepare to leave this happy place and prepare for kindergarten next fall.    I am...