or Connect

Posts by kittysmama

OP here - we live in an apartment and the washer is in the basement. We probably do laundry once per week or so. I think 10 days worth of clothes with an extra or two is a great starting goal. That helps. I like the idea of having each pick favorites and once we get to 12 for school, I'll pack the rest away for a bit. If no one misses them, off they will go. Unfortunately all of their dresser drawers are deep, think I'm going to experiment with rolling outfits. They...
I am overwhelmed by the amount of stuff and clothes the kids have. Have made good headway on things like toys and books. Really want to cut back on clothes and store them more neatly. Does anyone have some kind of guidelines as to how much/what they need (a "camp" type list would be great, lol)? My other issue is storage for them. Ideally I'd love to use something like a sweater bag for 7 complete outfits but we don't have much closet space (2 small ones for 4 people)....
I think that the constipation may be a huge part of it. Not to be too graphic but she might not be able to feel the sensations of having to go well. Glad you are working with your ped, may even want to try a ped GI, chronic constipation can cause nerve damage and permanently stretch out the colon. Sometimes it's not just fiber, it can have so many factors, hydration, motility. I think once that is sorted out, and when she is a bit older that the pooping in the potty will...
I'm not familiar with that book, will have to look into it. I also liked that the author helps you play detective on why bonds may be frayed, there is a lot of info on food and enviro sensitivities, and other things that can get in the way of good interpersonal relationships. Much bigger picture than most parenting/relationship books but so true, for my kids anyway.
We are really working on changing our parenting, especially of one of our kids who is really difficult and challenging due to sensory issues and some other factors. Things are better but I still regretted that things had been hard for so long, for all of us. I recently picked this up at the library and it had some ideas that have been really helpful for us in establishing a more positive tone to our relationships. One suggestion was massage, something we had done when the...
delted double post
Wow mama, it sounds like you have a lot of good things going on. I'm glad you have insight into your thinking, it does seem kind of black and white. Some of your word choices like "villian" and "sociopath" and "lacking empathy", kwim? A toddler, which is what a 2/3 yr old still is, has the job of exploring the world and exploring his body. He needs HIS emotional needs met, her really isn't capable of being responsible for making his parents feel "not loved". I do think...
Not trying to suggest that you WOULD or should starve your kiddo (bed without supper anyone?) Just because he sounds like a little adult doesn't mean he has judgment, impulse control, an understanding of cause and effect. Try this DVD, you can get it from a lot of libraries or from Netflix. http://parentingresources.suite101co...ddler_tantrums The Playful Parenting book a PP recommended is excellent. Some kids don't do well with time outs for them or for you, they...
Oops, forgot a tip for today - if you start to feel like your buttons are being pushed by his behavior, unless it is a safety issue, walk away, seriously. If you are reacting emotionally from your primitive brain you cannot think rationally with your frontal lobes, take a time out yourself. Learn what YOUR triggers are - for both you and DH and what the physical signs are that your anger and frustration is building. De-escalate before you blow, walk away and calm down.
Have you ever read any of those books "Your 1 Year Old", "Your 2 Year Old", etc? Libraries typically have them. I think that your expectations are totally unrealistic for a kid that just turned 3. I think the best thing that you can do (coming from a similar background) is to find a good family therapist and some positive discipline classes in your area. Also, spend some time regularly with other kids your child's age, I'll bet that you will see that most of his behavior...