or Connect

Posts by hgilbert

We are also at a Waldorf school. I don't know what it would have been like being media-free when the children were in the early years of school if there hadn't been a supportive community of this kind around us.   This is coming to an end, however. Our school is located in the greater NYC area. For each of our children, by 4th or 5th grade an increasing number of classmates were having an increasing amount of media time, to the point that both my children in 7th...
The "hidden agenda" is not hidden at all - it's stated clearly in every book ever written about Waldorf education, and there are quite a few out there. There is a deep conviction that each child has a unique, spiritual core; that the world is full of meaning; and that each of us is here, living on Earth, to accomplish significant tasks. It's a lot easier to be a Waldorf parent if you are comfortable with these ideas. We have families who are Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist,...
I agree that you have to distinguish Waldorf as an approach and any individual school, with its strengths and weaknesses, and its particular teachers, with their strengths and weaknesses. That said, the schools really do focus on the uniqueness of every individual child, while offering a very rich social experience - an, if not completely unique, pretty hard to find combination. (Montessori does the individual well, less the social; conventional schools focus on...
hmmmm
It might be fairer to include a broader survey of Steiner's comments. Though Steiner said all of what has been quoted here, I think it's fair to say that most anthroposophists and Waldorf teachers generally recognize the quotes below as closely connected to their aims and ideals, and as part of what attracts them to these fields - and thus these are more representative of the contemporary state of both anthroposophy and Waldorf education. "The barometer of progress in...