or Connect

Posts by Parthenia

Assalamu Alaikum, mamas! I'm a longtime MDC member and really new muslimah (like less than 2 weeks). I feel like I'm in the really strange and lonely limbo. The closest mosque is 1/2 an hour away, I'm part of a tiny (but growing) dhikr circle, and we're spread out all over the place. I also the only mom in the circle. DH did not revert (he's a Quaker), but is supportive. Mostly I feel like the only muslimah in town, which isn't true--but wow does it feel like it...
I have black hair and dark brown eyes (and I'm African American). My younger dd has blond hair and blue eyes--just like her father. My older daughter has green eyes and brown hair. Here's me and my younger dd: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1229907...7601936899537/ She looks exactly like my dh. Our older dd looks exactly like me, as you can see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1229907...7601936899537/ And...
Lube for all is how I learned it in nursing school.
We are a multireligious, multiethnic family. We used to say "God is great, God is good, etc...", but one day my older dd misunderstood what we were saying, and our grace evolved into this: [We hold hands with the person next to us, and we shake hands to the beat of our chant] God is great, God is good, God is dancing in our food. God is good, God is great, God is dancing on our plate. Amen. [then louder] AMEN! Funny how a child's not understanding the words...
We've had a chicken wire and wooden post (or maybe they're metal, I can't remember) compost heap for over 4 years. We have raccoons, 'possums, skunks, and groundhogs in our neighborhood, and while they eat our carrots and lettuce, we've never had trouble with the compost. I know if you avoid putting meat in the compost you can control critter raids, but I'm lazy and occasionally old meat ends up in the compost. They still stay out. Once in a while they raid the...
DH once grew out a full red beard, maybe 8 years ago. Now he typically has a blond and grey goatee. I'd love it if he grew out the grey beard.
Quote: Originally Posted by leosmommy DH: "you're welcome to get it. I'll put it over your head so you don't have to look." That's one of the best responses ever! Your DH must be made of win.
I would go to the party if you would have to lie to get out of it. No I would not give your neighbor an anti-circ lecture either. It sounds like you are primarily concerned with hurting the friendship with your neighbors. If not going requires to lie to your friends, then don't lie. If the intention of the party is to convince you that circ. is okay, then I wouldn't go. If the intention of the party is to honor a child and his entrance into his society (even if you...
I have very sensitive skin and rosacea. I don't use meds for the rosacea. I wash with just water, and moisturize with a thick unscented body cream afterwards. I do wear makeup. At times I've worn foundation, but it's hard to find one that doesn't make me break out, isn't insanely expensive, and actually matches my skin tone. I haven't bothered with it lately (like years). In the summer I rarely wear makeup, in the fall and winter I wear eyeliner and shadow. I wash it...
I voted Beatrix Emily Joy, but I like the others, too. It stands out for me, because my older dd is Amelia Beatrice. She's known as Bea.