or Connect

Posts by mahogny

Quote: Originally Posted by traceface I don't get it - yes, SIL is their daughter, but your husband is their son, right? I'm just sad about this idea that grandparents are always closer to the children of their daughter. And yet it happens so, so, often. My MIL favors SIL's kids over mine. Sheesh, I even overheard MIL's husband SAY that in as many words! (To SIL, "DW loves all her grandkids of course, but she feels an extra bond and...
DS was completely trained at 3 yrs 1 mo. DD was completely trained at 2 yrs 3 mo. Followed their leads both times.
When my son was 4 and his sister was 10 months, I had finished up a jar of peanut butter and had set the jar with the dregs on the counter to be washed out, but hadn't gotten to it by the time I went to bed. I woke up the next morning to very quiet children - DS had taken the dreg jar from the counter, and was scooping out the pb with a spoon and feeding it to his baby sister! DS and I had a talk that while it's certainly a lot of fun to feed his sister, there are...
I agree with the food. When FIL died, so many people brought food to MIL, and it was definitely appreciated. The perishable stuff was eaten by the entire family when we were gathered at the house the day of the death, and frozen food was saved for later. Also appreciated were gift cards for grocery stores. Alternately, a very meaningful gift that DH and I received when his dad died was that the neighbor boy (he was 16-ish at the time) mowed our lawn. It was very...
Quote: Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy If you read batman comics, or even watch the critically acclaimed and widely respected late 1990s batman cartoon, you will see why the original title was "Detective Comics". Batman is a detective first and a butt-kicker second. Spiderman was the first superhero with real problems. He is a scientist, a teenager, and a super hero. In the comic world he INVENTED the web shooter device and the fluid that gives him...
Thank you! I bet that's exactly it!! The only thing I got when I googled was the Society for Manufacturing Engineers, and I was pretty sure it wasn't that! Thanks so much for your search!
At my kindy son's parent/teacher conference, she said that she's going to send him to a 1st grade class for reading and math. She mentioned that they have some software called SEM or SME or something (she knew, but I can't remember what exactly she said) that can be used for math concepts, where it asks them questions and when they start to get them wrong (meaning the student is at the level that they need instruction) it works on those concepts. Does anyone know what...
I bought the second-most expensive package of my kindy son, but that's because he's notorious for making goofy faces at the camera (I haven't been able to get a decent picture of him with my camera in years!) and so going to an outside photography place is really out of the question. At least with the school pictures, I can say, "I want a nice smile!" just once! When I was in school, my mom always bought the absolute cheapest package, and while I was never...
At 4, I had my son dictate his thank yous for me, and I wrote them down word for word. Some of them were really cute that way. "Thank you for the puzzle, Nana. I took it apart, and then I didn't put it together, and I went to the other room and played with a car, and then I came back and put the puzzle together. And then I had a snack." Once he was old enough to write his name, I had him sign his own name to them. But with the dictated notes, he's still doing...
Both my kids used the exclusively until about their 2nd bdays. (I mean, other than breastfeeding, etc. They used them exclusively for non-boob liquid. ) After their 2nd bdays, they both preferred straw cups. I prefer that the kids' cups of water have lids on them, b/c they carry them about the house and I don't want a sopping carpet, and we have a cat who believes it's his mission on life to tip over cups of water. But if they're planning on staying in the kitchen,...