or Connect

Posts by mahogny

I bought my son had a sling when he was 3-ish. I can't sew, so I ordered one from Tykie Diapers. He was obsessed with trains at that age, so I had it made from train fabric. He used it as a sling occasionally, but its main use was as a crane on his wooden railway!
My DS just had his 6th bday party yesterday, and we had a book exchange. It was FABULOUS, and everyone had a great time! I brought a couple of extra books, and it was a good thing, as some siblings arrived with a parent for pick-up just in time for the exchange, so they got to participate too! My DS has said he wants a book exchange for every party!! Here's our wording: In lieu of a gift, each child is invited to bring a wrapped, gender-neutral book costing $10 or...
I have a Kinder DS. (he turns 6 on Thursday!) Dinner is at 5:30 Bath at 6:30 I usually starting reading to the kids at 7:00ish and read for about 15 minutes. They are allowed to read on their own (okay DS reads, DD just looks at the pictures!) until 7:30, when it's lights out. They're both asleep by 8, many times by 7:40. They wake up by themselves in the morning at 6:00ish. So, I guess that's about 10-11 hrs of sleep per night.
:
I have an almost-6 yo boy and a 2 1/2 yo girl, and they sleep in the same bed. Their room actually has bunk beds, but they both sleep together in the bottom bunk. (It's a full-size bed.) I never thought about this before. They enjoy sleeping together, but I do realize that DS is now getting older. We've been meaning to fix up the spare room (now the computer room) as a bedroom for one of them (whichever one wants it) but haven't got around to it. Is it horrible...
My kids play in their room until 6:00. They are allowed to come out to go potty, but that's it - no running amok through the house until after 6! And they must whisper. The 5 yo is great at remembering this, but the 2 yo still has trouble. She'll get it eventually! i'm an early riser, so I'm up about 6:15 anyhow.
My Kinder DS gets PE twice a week, and art, music, and library once a week. He also gets recess every day. Currently, all the PE classes are held outside, as the school is in the middle of building a brand new gym. It's supposed to be done next month. DS loves PE days, b/c it means he gets to go outside twice. Some things he's told me about that they do in PE: walk like various animals, such as elephants, bunnies, frogs; have scooter races; h'mmm....that's...
I didn't learn how to tie in Kindergarten. I was actually able to tie before Kindergarten, but I'm sure that's just b/c I'm the youngest of three and had seen my older brother and sister tie, so of course I "just had" to learn to tie, too. So goes the life of the youngest. My DS is in Kindergarten, and can't tie his shoes. He's never tried - it never occured to me to teach him. When he wants to learn, he'll ask. I figure by the time he's in college, he'll get...
FWIW, when my son was 2.5, he was uninterested in library storytime, too. Wouldn't participate, would just watch the other kids, didn't enjoy the songs, etc. Pretty much everything you said. As for whether it not it bodes well for school, your DS has the entire length of his life to live again before he's old enough for school! That's 2.5 years to grow and change and develop - IMO, it's not appropriate to say whether one will or will not do well in school based on a...
My son is in Kindy, and his assessment was done two days before school started. His teacher (as well as every other K student's) was already assigned, and it was his teacher that did the assessment. It wasn't to place anybody in a "special" K class, it was just to let the teacher know where each student stands developmentally and academically coming into the classroom. Valuable information, IMO. I wasn't allowed in the classroom during the assessment, but DS told...