or Connect

Posts by mahogny

Does anyone know if Isaiah Washington and TR Knight have had any scenes together since the ...uh...."incident"?
When my son was 3, (actually, 2 weeks before his 3rd bday) his grandpa died very suddenly and unexpectedly. DS and g-pa had been very close, and in fact had just spent time together the evening before he died. I was very matter-of-fact with DS. I didn't use any euphemisms like "passed on" on "gone to a better place" or whatever. We told DS that grandpa died, so he wouldn't be seeing him anymore. It took DS a few weeks to fully understand the situation. We talked...
Not from my mother, but when I was younger, my older brother and sister told me that mannequins in the clothing stores used to be real people. They were walking by the store minding their own business when people came out and grabbed them, and then turned them into mannequins. This was reinforced as we'd walk by a store window and my brother or sister would look at a mannequin, look distressed and then moan, "Oh, I used to know that person!"
I loved loved loved the books when I was growing up. I was quite obsessed with LIW; dressed up as her as halloween, read about her "real" history (ie, not what she wrote in the books) and watched the TV show. (Though, the TV show is NOTHING like the books, except the characters have the same names!) This obsession has carried on into adulthood - I grew up in the NE, so reading about "Indian Territory" and "Kansas" and "Big Woods of Wisconsin" just seemed like far off...
My DS is in pre-K this year at the public school. (It's free in our state, and 70% of the state's 4 yo attend.) I debated for a long long time about whether or not to send him. It boiled down to the fact that our district has full-day K. Pre-K is half-day. If K was half-day, I would have skipped pre-K. But I wasn't about to have his first school experience being to full-day K. I thought the half-day option would be a good introduction to going to school. But as...
How deep is the water? Is it a kiddie pool or is it a "grown-up" pool? The reason I ask is because a few weeks ago, my 5 yo ds was also invited to a pool party, and I had similar concerns to yours. Not fear of the water, as DS has taken swimming lessons for a year, but the fact that this huge kiddie party was going to take place at a pool, and even with his swimming lessons, I wouldn't trust DS to save himself at this point, kwim? Then you get a bunch of screaming...
I never saw my parents naked. I'd sooner die than for my parents to see me naked! But my kids and I are nakey-nakey around each other all the time! My DS's favorite after-school activity is to strip down, and remain so for the rest of the day! His sister follows suit. However, I did have to convince him to leave his underwear on. If he takes his underwear off, DD takes her diaper off. That's not good! But if DS leaves his underwear on, DD leaves her diaper...
My DS missed the cut off by 6 weeks. I'm glad for it. Academically and socially he's ready - reads, writes, counts to over 100, does addition, etc etc, but I enjoy having him with me, and I think it's important, as a boy, to have an extra year of maturity. He's in half-day pre-k in the public school this year.
I learned proper flag folding at Girl Scout Camp. Geez, twice a day, every day for a week for years and years and years...but I digress. But I'm with the folks who simply don't see the point of folding it the correct way every single time. I just cannot bring myself to "respect" a piece of fabric the way so many people do, and like others here, I thnk the whole notion is rather silly. (After reading this thread, I don't want to tell you how or where our flag is...
My sister lives in London, UK, and the area where she lived when she was pregnant with her first was also an area where they had people selecting termination because of gender. So, nobody was allowed to be told gender during pregnancy. (The health care system there means everyone in the same neighborhood goes to the same health care provider.) They had moved to a different neighborhood by the time she was pregnant with her second, so she was able to be told the gender.