or Connect

Posts by JellyMomma

I recommend ~~'Bright Minds, Poor Grades: Understanding and Motivating your Underachieving Child', by Michael Whitley.  You can get it through Amazon. My daughter was very much like your son at that age.  The book really helped me understand how to help her...
I live not too far from Portsmouth and I have a limited knowledge of Keene.  Here are a few random thoughts:   Keene Pros --Small college town, very pretty area, housing is probably relatively inexpensive Cons-- Very remote, for some reason that area always gets a ton of snow, Keene to Boston would be a long commute.  Oops I just reread your post and see that you'll be going to school in Keene.  Portsmouth to Keene is a long drive with no direct route.  Any chance...
Another vote from me for natural consequences... Sometimes it's much easier and more effective to let the punishment come from outside.  Out in the working world or in college if you slack off and don't do what's required you're fired or kicked out...better he learn that now...  
Thank you, Emilie... That last line really hit me!  Lordy, the thought just about kills me.  I think it's time for another talk with Dot.  I gave her the talk last summer when she was seeing Idiot #1.  I told her that I hoped that she wouldn't choose to have sex for a long, long time, until she is ready and more mature and in love, etc etc...but that it's not my decision to make -- unless I'm going to follow her around 24/7...and when she thinks she's ready --I said...
Thank you everyone...I never know if I'm overreacting or underreacting!   Genifer, your reply was very helpful... So good to know that this is probably normal...and won't necessarily lead to anything long-term. I'm guessing 'Dot' is very much like you were at that age.  I really do trust her but sometimes it's hard.  She's been given so much autonomy in such a short time:  New high school in another town where we don't know anyone, she takes public transportation to...
(sorry for the weird formatting -- I pasted from Word) My dd (I’ll call her Dot) is 14 and a freshman at a very small school (80 kids).  She’s dating a sophomore boy (I’ll call him B.) who I think is an idiot – all style and no substance.  He tells outrageous lies in order to appear dark and mysterious.  For example he says that he lived in another country and spoke no English until he was 7, that he had a twin sister who was given up for adoption shortly after birth,...
HUGS to you... I also chuckled at the thought of you locking her out of the car : )   Not sure if this is it, but it sounds A LOT like how my daughter acted at the start of puberty, right around that age.  Were you an early bloomer?  Have you seen any physical signs?    I didn't know how to deal with the negativity and I responded with a lot of anger and sarcasm.  I realized we were headed down a long, long path if I didn't figure out what was going on.    I...

I agree with this...I think it's time for some tough love. He wants all the freedom of being an adult without any of the responsibility. Sit him down and say something like 'Look, I understand you want the freedom of an adult.  We're trying to make choices for you and you are resisting.  So we've decided that we need to try letting you make the decisions.  You've obviously decided that you want to quit school (assuming that is a legal option?  In NH kids can quit at 16...
When I first read about the Duggars I assumed they were creepy and cult-like (the J names didn't help to soften my opinion).  Then I started watching the show and I have to admit that I really like them.  Michelle is always so calm and soft spoken and the kids are so well-behaved and normal.  I can't imagine her spanking any of them... I'm not familiar with the Pearl discipline books --they sound awful.     They all seem so well adjusted and happy... Have they...