or Connect

Posts by Poogles0213

Quote: Originally Posted by woodchick There was no wording that exempts churches in the LA law that was linked. I'd think that if it wasn't specifically mentioned then it doesn't get specific exemption. But I'm no lawyer! Well, what about this part: "No child care facility shall discriminate based on race, color, creed, disability, as defined in R.S. 51:2232(11), national origin ancestry or whether a child is being breast-fed. However, this...
I heard that they were also removing pictures that other members had complained about or marked as "obscene" So maybe that's why some that didn't have any nipple showing were removed? I dunno...it all seems so ridiculous to me. :
Quote: Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer I didn't read it all but under Resources at the bottom, they list NOCIRC! I like that! What about the article did you NOT like and wish to see changed? One thing I noticed off the bat while skimming is that they say "By age 3, most boys who have not been circumcised can retract the foreskin of the penis without any problems.7 (In rare cases, the foreskin of the natural penis [uncircumcised] cannot be...
Quote: Originally Posted by dubfam OMG I am appreciating my MIL after reading this thread!! Me too! I thank my lucky stars for the MIL I got. I swear I feel like I hit the jackpot! Hopefully none of that changes after we have kids...but I really have no reason to think it will I feel so sorry for all you mama's dealing with the crazy MIL's out there I like the advice to remember it when (if) you become the MIL one day though!!
Quote: Originally Posted by Turquesa Here is yet another claim circulating through cyber-space without any hard evidence to back it. So if you'll forgive my skepticism, did you hear this second-hand, or did you personally contact MANA to request the data? Could you share their response ver batim with us? And if this is the case, is there evidence as to why they're not sharing the stats? Is the implication that CPMs have massacred countless mamas and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Reha Wait a minute, you guys are talking as if there isn't much research done on the safety of homebirth. the BMJ CPM2000 study isn't the only one out there! Since the 70s, there has been study after study done (not just in the US) that shows that homebirth is AS safe and often SAFER than hospital birth for healthy pregnant women...We've been having positive homebirth studies far out weigh the negative ones from the start....
Quote: Originally Posted by the_lissa Well yes but that implies that there are no risks from being in a hospital and there are. Of course there are risks, but they're not usually death. Yes, bad things can happen in the hospital - I work for a medmal insurance carrier, believe me, I know. However, the stories I've read of things "gone wrong" in the hospital still scare me a hell of a lot less than things gone wrong at home. That's me,...
Quote: Originally Posted by IrelandsMama I get so tired of hearing mainstream people comment that hospital birth is superior for the health of mother and baby. Of course those of us that have had the care of a midwife know better. The way I look at it, showing studies like these, statistics of neonatal outcomes in other parts of the world that use midwifery care and are have better outcomes, and educating others on how educated midwives truly are, puts...
Quote: Originally Posted by lindsayjean Its just that over the years ive seen the "home birth gone bad" side too many times, and while iknow they arent that common, when they happen they are bad, and there is no legal recourse. I think this is a very important sentence. The fact is that sometimes (very rarely as long as you have a competent midwife not afraid to transfer for complications) babies will die at home from something that probably...
Quote: Originally Posted by UmmIbrahim Gee, as usual they seem to forget that carrying your child on your back or your hip is the norm in many if not most cultures around the world and that obviously, while there are better carrier choices than having your child strapped to your chest for hours at a time, if moms and caretakers have been carrying their children on their backs or hips for generations so they can cook and clean and farm then obviously it...