or Connect

Posts by ChasingPeace

Another supporter of MyFitnessPal!  I've lost 61 pounds (so far ;-)) using it.  It has everything!  I eat a lot of ethnic foods, and I've found them in their database.
I'm just wondering.  I"m a few days late and my cervix hurts.  I don't remember this being something I felt as a symptom in my earlier two pregnancies, but my breasts have also hurt for about a week now, so I'm suspicious.  Has anyone experienced this?   Thanks!
Hi, mamas and dads--I'm a selective/delayed vax-er and my 4 yo dd go DTap and Polio shots about 10 days ago. This was her third dose of both shots (the last was 11 months ago), and she's had both together before without any reaction. This time, however, she developed a fever of about 102 about 9 hours after receiving the shots. The fever responded to Ibuprofen. And she was back to "normal" within 24 hours. Yesterday (9 days after the shots) she developed a persistent...
Thanks, mamas, for making me feel better! My instincts tell me everything is fine with him, but I wanted to get some feedback.
I don't know if this is "normal" or if it's a sign of my son being exposed to things he's too young to be exposed to somewhere. He's 6, and he's made a few comments to me about girls. The first was the most alarming--he was 5 1/2 and he told me in a shy way that he liked to lay in his bed and touch his penis and think about having a girlfriend. I tried not to act shocked and told him thank you for telling me that, and that was very normal, and asked him if anyone...
I saw Food Inc. and thought it was very eye-opening! I did the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart and Kathy Freston's Quantum Cleanse (also vegan) in January, and watched Food Inc. near the end of it. The story of the little boy who died from the hamburgers still haunts me. :-( I try to be a "mostly vegan" as a result of the movie and other things I've read. I struggle with my nemesis milk chocolate, though...
I personally would go tell the doctor to go $%&# himself. My ds has always been tall and heavy for his age. The peds I have seen have told me not to worry about it, make sure he has access to healthy foods and not to have a lot of junk around, and encourage him to be active. Works for me. I was a heavy child who was put on diets by well-meaning doctors before I was in kindergarten. What it did for me was 1) make me a binge eater, 2) make me an obese yo-yo dieter, 3)...
A few ideas from my Lebanese MIL-- --make mujadra (usually brown lentils and rice topped with carmelized onions), but substitute the bulgur for the rice. Use generous amounts of olive oil. It is SOOO good! Much better than using rice, IMO. --make "potato kibbe"--cook potatoes, mash together with the bulgur, add salt, flatten on a plate and top with olive oil. Eat with a spoon or pita bread --Tomato and bulgur http://www.mediterranean-food.net/in...3588&Itemid=26
I've only been at this for a couple of weeks, but I've found that a lot of Lebanese recipes are good vegan, GF/DF options. In addition to the lentil soup, we've eaten hummus with veggies, garbanzo beans with cumin and sea salt, baba ghanoush, mujadra (lentils with rice topped with carmelized onions). For recipes that call for bulghur, I've been substituting quinoa. Looking forward to getting more ideas from y'all!
Here's a recipe I've been using from http://www.habeeb.com/lebanese.recipes.index.html: I skip the sieve for a chunkier soup and add the juice of 2 lemons when I add the onions Lentil Soup SHOURABAT 'ADAS 3 cups lentils 1/2 cup rice (optional) 1/2 cup samneh, or other shortening (I use coconut oil) 1 cup chopped onions 1 1/2 tsp. salt Water Another good old fashioned soup is this one developed, of necessity, by Lebanese mountain villages when their winter...