or Connect

Posts by Rose-Roget

Thanks for all these great comments and ideas!   He does enjoy the success he has with piano, and it is good for his fine motor as well as for developing discipline and seeing success.  His praxis/coordination issues make those gross motor things less desireable for him, although like I said, he's enjoying his bike more now that he's successful with it.  Unfortuantely, before school just doesn't work in the family.  He has a really hard time in the AM - it's all we can...
Wow - take 4.  My computer keeps freezing up when I'm on this site, and I'm not sure why.   Anyway, ds learned to ride his 2 wheeler over the summer, so he's more willing to get out and ride more often. :)  I also have him back in swimming, now that I've found a pool that seems more suited to his needs (most that we tried were too overstimulating for him to learn successfully).  You're right about making a commitment to getting these things in regularly.  The...
I truly believe that most of his issues are sensory-based.  (Unfortunately, it's me trying to convince the world of this, thus, I'm seeking a dev. ped's "dx" so that maybe we can get some accommodations at school.)  Anyway, we're working on getting back into a consistent routine for his sensory diet.  Over the summer, the symptoms are less obvious, less impairing, and that's likely for a two-fold reason - different expectations and more sensory activities naturally built...
Ds is 7 and has sensory processing disorders.  We have an appt. set up for his official dx's in a few weeks - probably looking at ADHD, mild-moderate anxiety, and potentially ODD (which I'm having the hardest time accepting because I see any of those issues as a result of some of the other things going on, but I digress).  Before I jump to pharmaceuticals, I'd like to try some more "natural" things first.  I've tried vitamin/mineral supplementation with no dramatic...
Thanks so much for that information.  I'm and SLP, so I'm glad to have some understanding of the legalities, but it's really different to be on the other side of the table, so to speak.  At this time, he doesn't have a recognizable disabiltiy, unless I get the official ADHD dx which could open up doors for a 504 or such.  I do a LOT of coaching with him - friendship, anxiety, focus, expected behaviors.  I'm pretty drained.  I will look more closely at some of those links...
Hello all!  Ds is almost 7, starting 2nd grade.  He is extremely bright, but the report form school for years has been that he lacks focus, can be impulsive, and disrupts at times.  He is seen for private OT for SPD.  I've been resisting the ADHD label for a while, because I feel like his SPD results in ADHD "look alike" behaviors.  But then I consider that maybe that's the case for a lot of people, and maybe ADHD is just one presentation of SPD.    I'm at a loss.  I...
Not sure where to post this - mods, please move if there's a better place.  We have a gently used Amby baby hammock and I was thinking of selling it.  There was the recall last year, and we received the "fix" for it.  Anyone know if it's okay to sell it?  We never had any problems with it, even before the fix. 
We're taking an overseas flight in a couple of weeks with a 6 year old and an 18 month old.  Trying to think of easily packable, healthy, airport friendly snacks for the journey.  Ideas?  TIA
You could try coconut milk or almond milk just to be sure.
Not sure where to post this.  I''ve never had too much problem with razor burn until I was pg. with my dd (that was about 2 years ago, now).  Usually, my solution has been to just not bother shaving - lol!  But I have awful, painful razor burn in my bikini area/top of thighs.  Are there any remedies?  We're heading to the beach in a few weeks, and I don't want to be in pain or be unsightly.