or Connect

Posts by Barbamama

I'd call the Peruvian consulate and ask them.  Also, if you're not flying directly from the US to Peru, you'd also want to check the entry requirements for countries that you're laying over in.  Some countries require 3-6 mos remaining on the passport to gain entry, and airline crew might deny you boarding to your layover destination . . . not that it would be right, or make sense . . .
  DD and I have different surnames, and really, it hasn't been a problem.  That said, she has her father's last name, we're both on her birth certificate, and he is deceased.  So all I have to do to establish my parental bona fides is present her birth certificate and his death certificate.  I'm not sure that our experience would pertain to your situation.   You'll certainly want to keep a birth certificate on hand, but it's been my experience that it's been a non issue...
I think you're instincts are right -- time to talk to a lawyer.  I don't want to contradict your mom friends who have BTDT experience, but many states (looks like Oregon is one of them) will impute income to a parent who is voluntarily under-employed or unemployed.  Maybe he would fall into that category, and, if so, the imputed income would offset any child support that you'd otherwise have to pay to him.  But there are so many factors to consider -- age of the children...
Hi Amy --   We live on Capitol Hill and love it -- lots of families with young children and a wonderful community.  There also are some good public elementary schools on the Hill, with "good" being defined more in terms of the involvement and commitment of the parent community than by test scores.  Schools that are highly touted include Maury ES, Peabody ES (especially its Reggio Emilia "school within a school")  Brent ES, and Watkins ES.   Each of these has a...
No, I wouldn't do this, not in a million years.  If I recall correctly, didn't he have friends/classmates living in Mexico? I wouldn't trust him not to enlist those folks in an attempt to kidnap your DCs.
If he behaves as you describe in court, before the judge, I'd wager that he's the one who's going to end up being embarassed.
I don't have any life insurance for DD, can't even contemplate that, but I think the general wisdom on that is that it's a waste of money unless the child has a condition that would make her uninsurable later. Even then, probably not a wise buy. I have $350,000 in coverage on myself, with DD's guardians as beneficiaries. I'm going to create a trust, however, and I invision that at least part of the insurance proceeds will go into trust for DDs benefit. For me, the...
Yes, that would be great.
Kbond --I'm running out the door, but wanted to give you a (((hug))). Things are tough in the legal market -- it's def. not just you.
Hugs, OP, I'm a single mom, but I don't have any BTDT advice to offer. I can advise, though, that before you retain any lawyer, you should check with the Bar to see if they have disciplinary history. I think I read you're in CO? Check prospective counsel here.