or Connect

Posts by expat-mama

My 3 year old does this too. He is rarely silent in fact. We have many reasons to believe (including professional opinions) that he is very mildly autistic and this could be one of his stims- it goes well with his echolalia which seems to be fading lately. It can be a bit much, to put it mildly- I have issues with noise and I have super sensitive hearing.   If it it is driving you nuts, what works for us is putting headphones on him- when he is listening to music...
Thanks SO much for all these helpful and reassuring replies!  I've been thinking on this ALOT in the past couple of days. I haven't given DD formula yet. I have an appointment to go back to a lactation clinic tomorrow.    When DD was a few weeks old I went because she wasn't nursing from one side and had slow weight gain and a crappy latch. My son also had a bad latch that never quite got much better- I think he just got bigger and we both got used to it and I...
I was completely surprised today when my doctor said I must supplement with at least one bottle of formula today. DD is happy and looks healthy, meeting milestones etc. But she hasn't gained enough weight (this according to the WHO charts for breastfed infants)- she was 3.785 kg at birth and now is only 5.2 kg at 3 months. She basically dropped from the 85th percentile to the 25th! I feel so awful. I got my period back when she was 9 weeks old because she wasn't waking so...
Thank you all for your replies. It does seem like it's an individual thing- whether the diet works or not, I mean.  We WANT it to work so much- when I read the stories about what a difference it made for so many people I wish that were us, but I'm starting to think it's not.   A PP mentioned that the diet seems to work for "higher functioning" kids- I actually thought this was the opposite. Reading anecdotal experiences on the web, it seemed to me that it was lots...
Not wanting to start any arguments here.  DH and I have been reflecting on all the stuff we've tried/are trying with DS over the past year and a half that we suspected then confirmed that he has a autism spectrum disorder. One of the reasons is that DS is starting daycare/preschool in the fall and this is bringing a new and very big expense that we are fitting into the budget and along with all the supplements and special foods (and consulting with therapists, books...
Despite some bumps in the road with a hatred for swaddling and crazy growth spurt nursing, DD has been a pretty good sleeper- especially at night. She goes down easily at night sometimes unexpectedly early. I think I'm putting her down for her last nap around 5 or 5:30 but then she just keeps sleeping. I'm not complaining! My first was a "bad" sleeper to put it mildly.    So DD will go down between 5 and 6pm and sleep till 6 or 7am (with 2-3 wakes for feeds), so...
UGH curse this day that I am returning to these sleep forums for my second babe.  (I'm still traumatized by sleep issues we had with DS...who btw is still an horrible sleeper...ANYWAY...)   So DD is 9 weeks old and has always hated the swaddle. With a fervent passion. We were able to do without it for the first 3 or 4 weeks when she would scream herself blue if we swaddled her. But after that we had to swaddle her because she always has her hands mucking about around...
Just wondering what the experiences out there have been with your HF autistic or Aspie kids and special interests or obsessions?  My son seems to be narrowing from his general obsession with all animals (especially birds and fish) to just dinosaurs lately. It's dinosaurs all day every day around here and I'm trying to hop on the bandwagon and connect a lot with him through his interest. I know more about dinosaurs than I ever thought I would! He's only (almost) three...
Sigh. Right here with you. DD is 2 months old and just before I got pregnant with her I had FINALLY just gotten to a size that I was moderately happy with. Now I'm back to a post-pregnancy weight hoping to lose 15-20 lbs to get me back there. It's so hard with the sleep deprivation and exhaustion and stress. Food is the only way right now to give myself a "treat" and it's an easy way to feel good. This is great... one of the problems I have is finding the time to exercise...
Does anyone have any suggestions for general preparation for preschool?   We are going to take photos of DS's teachers and have them handy this summer while we read books about going to preschool. We're also going to talk to his teachers and try to get an idea of the schedule and activities they will normally do and try to familiarize DS with these as well as ask them for common "scripts" they often use with the children when transitioning to different activities...