or Connect

Posts by expat-mama

Thanks for the replies! We live overseas and don't have a lot of good resources available in terms of therapy so I'm doing the best I can on my own. I think if DS was a more serious or "classic" case I'd be on the first plane home to sign him up for everything available in our home country. This is the plan if we ever think that things are not working.    DS definitely interacts with kids in the playground and the pool- he is interested in them and wants to engage...
Brief background info: My DS is almost 3 and has a mild ASD- he is verbal (very echolalic but capable of original and spontaneous language), affectionate and pretty bright. The vast majority of his therapy takes place at home with me.   So I've been doing floortime with my son for some time now and I've found that this has vastly improved his communication skills. I think I've been focusing on his language and communication in everything I do with him as this has...
This is one of the best short articles I've read about echolalia. It's given me hope and helped me understand. It's from Autism Aspergers Digest : http://autismdigest.com/echolalia-on-the-spectrum/   Echolalia on the Spectrum: The Natural Path to Self-Generated Language  
Hi there, Just had baby #2 and this time I would really like to have sex sooner than after baby #1 AND have it not hurt so much! I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for helping the healing (I had a few small-medium tears, stitches, lots of swelling) and for making the first few times not be so awfully painful.  A friend recommend vitamin E suppositories, so I've got those now. Obviously, lube is essential. Is there anything else I can do to make things heal...
Happy I found this thread. Caring for my new dd and almost 3 yo DS is so so SO much harder than I ever imagined. DD spends too much time in her swing instead of in my arms like DS did as a newborn. And DS went from watching hardly any TV to watching tons. I feel like I'm constantly failing BOTH of them somehow AND my house is a mess and my poor husband is desperate for my affection and attention too. When he is home from work he is parenting DS and I'm with DD. It's...
Thanks for the replies. I did take her in. Doctor told me to stop helping her poop unless she is obviously distressed and to keep a record of her poops.tgen I'm supposed to see him again in 3 wks. He said we can't rule anything out but also that he has seen healthy babies her age go two weeks without pooping. He did some babies are just really efficient at digesting a perfect food like breastmilk and there is almost no waste product. I'm hoping things turn out ok- DD is...
Nothing?
I'm having growing concerns about my 3 wk old dd. Maybe I'm reading too much on the Internet about bowel problems in newborns but would really appreciate input. DD passed meconium normally then didn't poop for 5 days. She was nursing well enough making lots of good wet dipes I brought her in to the the LC who said she is getting enough milk so then went to the doc who stimulated her rectum. She then pooped a ton that day and the next day. Since then she has pooped a very...
My newborn nurses ok on one side but doesn't  on the other. My son was the same way with not liking the same breast too. There is something with that nipple- it is flatter and harder to latch and that boob also gets very engorged and has a faster flow than the other. My 1 wk-old dd seems to have an even harder time than DS did- she is a bit smaller than he was so that might be why.   Anyway, an LC I saw suggested that when DD fights nursing from that boob I should...
After a dose of castor oil, nipple stim and a day of birth ball bouncing and deep birthy thoughts, I went into labour on April 27th around 8 pm. Irregular but strong contractions all night until we arrived at birth centre at 10 am. They checked my dilation and given how irregular my contractions were showing up everyone was surprised I was at 9 CM! Took them some time to set up the birth room as we wanted with mattress on the floor and do the paperwork etc. Then a few...