or Connect

Posts by AngieB

This was kind of why I posed my question in the first place. There was the big obvious tradegy going but in the back ground there seemed to be this other emergancy happening of the power outages. I was trying to understand the whole event. I guess I had just never thought about the fact that there would be large areas without a second source of heat or that large apartment building didn't have back-up generators. I know it was stupid on my part not to know these things. ...
I feel like I owe everyone a huge apology. I in no way was making light of a terrible tragedy. The areas that have been destroyed and the homes and lives lost is of course a major emergency. I was not implying that the families who have lost homes didn't plan well enough or people trapped by flooding should have planned better. I obviously did not make myself clear with my question. I should have explained my thinking more clearly. My thought was that with such major...
yeah I guess so. I really didn't mean to upset anyone.I'm the first to admit I have no real understanding of urban living and I now see my question was pretty stupid but the same could be said for someone who has never lived in a rural area, there are things that seem so obvious to me but I'm sure would really surprise or bother others.
I'm very sorry if my questions have offended anyone, I'm not making light of this emergency. I understand many are suffering, their homes a flooded and damaged or worse. That's not what I was talking about. I have heard a few storied from friends who have family back east who are safe and sound and homes are fine but have now power and seem to be completely unprepared and this seemed strange to me. After a few posters explained that there are not many power outages in...
Exactly, it's not like I'm jumping up and down with joy that we get to live without electricity for a week and towards the end I'm getting pretty grumpy but its a inconvenience not an emergency. The more people post who live in these urban areas the more I think yikes, that is pretty bad, there don't seem to be any other options.
I said I wasn't sure, it was just a thought. Like I have said before I'm just trying to understand why it seems so much more complicated to live without power in the urban areas.So there are no other options besides being completely and totally dependent on a somewhat fragile grid system? Are you comfortable with that? Again, I'm just trying to get a better understanding.
I would think keeping some basic camping supplies would be very helpful. A small propane camp stove for cooking and a small propane heater that is safe for indoor use. Both items would only require the small green propane tanks that are fairly inexpensive . An ice chest with some ice to keep stuff cold. A few hurricane lights or propane camp lights. Everything but the ice chest would fit in a Rubbermaid tub that could fit in a closet. Canned and easy to cook food and...
Ok, so the the people who are struggling with the power outages are those who live in a more urban area, that make more sense. We just aren't hearing about the people in the rural areas because they are deal with it better because they are use to the loss of power. Here in CA if the closes major city to us, Sacramento, losses power even for a few hours its all over the news.
This is so interesting to me. First I can't believe that the east coast doesn't experience more power outages with all the crazy winter weather like blizzards and ice storms, I'm kind of jealous . I was also wondering for the moms who do live in the storm zone what did you do to prepare? There was a few day notice and lots of warning that there could and most likely would be long term power outages, so you had time to get ready. I understand that gas for generators...
I really wasn't trying to offend anyone and I'm sorry if I did. I wasn't talking about people we were flooded or their homes and towns damaged. I've just heard stories like a friend of mines sister lives back east and there was no damage to her home or major problems with the town, but they have lost power and they have 2 little kids and no heat or ways to cook and it seems crazy. You are all right, I have never lived in a city or apartment and I didn't understand the...