or Connect

Posts by Ms Apricot

I was going to write a long post about Canadian comedy, with the long list of the hugely successful Canadian comedians - many of whom people assume are U.S. born and bred. I can't do it without sounding defensive, so I'm not going to bother. Having spent time in Australia and NZ though, I'd say the humour is closer to Canadian than American, but with different cultural touchstones. I'm not sure how any Australians could understand many of the jokes in Corner Gas,...
Quote: Originally Posted by candiceogrady Does a Forest/Woods kindergarten program exist? Are there other preschool programs that emphasize outdoor play in the same way? Thanks, Candice You may be interested in the Toronto Island Nature School at Hanlon's Point . It's a full public school program from JK to Gr. 6 in the TDSB. There is also a nursery, but I don't know if it's a full daycare program. Cityside kids take the ferry over to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piglet68 Ah, Quebec. That explains it. You guys are the "mavericks" of Canada! There are public Catholic schools in Ontario too. Since Education is a provincial responsibility thanks to the division of powers set out in the Canadian constitution, the provinces deal with this differently. The Ontario provincial government granted full taxpayer funding of the Catholic education system ("separate schools") to Grade...
Quote: Originally Posted by osker Hello! DW and I are going to Toronto for four days next week. I'll be in a conference all day, and one day she'll drive to MI to see her family... but what can she do by herself all day in Toronto for the other days? She loves to shop (for baby stuff usually) though we should be keeping that toned down... she loves museums... and gardens, though it may be too cold?? Any ideas? TIA! The Royal Agricultural Winter...
Has anyone seen Chris Rock's documentary Good Hair? He was inspired by his daughter, who asked why she didn't have good hair. I've read good reviews, but haven't had a chance to see it yet. Here's one interview with Rock. Sometimes it happens the other way too. When he was a small child, ds had straight, fine, almost blond hair. He asked me when it would become thick and curly, like his best friend's. FWIW, I think there is a difference in that the cultural subtext...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommy68 Also, how do you know she wasn't asking you if you were mom because she thought you "looked" young?? I'm over 40 and get the question often regarding my teen son being my brother or if I'm his babysitter, lol. Why just assume it's about your race? Well, I can't speak for the other mom, but when it's happened to me the interrogators have had the ill-grace to say, "I thought you might be the nanny". I was in my...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tapioca yes, me. I'm supah glad you started this thread because these are things that are regularly on my mind. DH is Canadian, I am a Kiwi (New Zealander) and we live in Canada, which I *mostly* like. However, I find there are a lot of cultural differences. I am often homesick for my culture, though I include British culture in that because NZ is heavily UK-influenced and my mother is English. There are certain things -...
I'm not sure what is offered from kindy to Year 6, but I don't think it's much. In Year 7, the students take one term (10 weeks) each of French, German, Mandarin and Japanese. In Year 8, they can choose which language they would like to study for the entire year. I would prefer it if the school offered Spanish instead of German, but dd enjoyed German most - and she has studied French (in public school in Canada) and Japanese (weekend private classes) for years. I think...
How lovely that you are seeing your ds's strengths and abilities that weren't fully recognized before. This is why I think evaluations are helpful. There's often a debate about whether to have a child assessed - I've seen it here and in other boards many times. Sometimes they can be revealing in details, even if parents have already realized that their child is gifted. It can widen the picture of the child, or bring more of it into focus. I think all information and...
I used to be pretty casual about sunscreen. Since moving to Australia, I've taken a different view. I've always tanned, never burned, so it's hard for me to remember to use sunblock. I didn't enforce it with the kids - partly because DD is like me, she just tans. Australians are rightly concerned about melanomas - it's a leading cause of death here. What really persuaded me is that I haven't attended a single social event here where someone hasn't arrived with a huge...