or Connect

Posts by Purple Cat

I recently moved to a new state basically without knowing a soul.   I met a woman who has two children, a daughter my twins' age and a boy two years older.  We talked a lot while the kids were in swim class, and stayed after the month long class to let the kids swim in the pool.   The first time we got together in the park, post-swim class, she called me when I was 5 minutes late.  I am generally very punctual, but am brand new to the area, and misjudged my timing. ...
Thank you, everyone, for your ideas on making my own, or prolonging my purchased hand soap.    The recipe I used for dishwasher detergent is 1 cup of washing soda, 1 cup of borax, and 2 packets of unsweetened lemonade drink mix.  I mixed all the ingredients together and use 1 TBSP. in my prewash cup and 1 TBSP. in my regular wash cup.  The detergent works far better than the storebrand dishwasher soap I was using.  The unsweetened lemonade mix has citric acid in it,...
I found a great recipe to make your own dishwasher detergent, and after that success, decided to try making my own liquid hand soap.  I grated a bar of soap into 4 cups of water and then heated it until the mixture was entirely liquid with no remnants of soap.   I let it set overnight and awoke to a solidified "slime."   It is way too thick to dispense.  Has anyone else tried to make their own liquid hand soap with this result?  For those who know, suggestions on how to...
I have twins who recently turned 5.  I have read to them incessantly.  In reading a book, I always pick one word in the title and identify the phonetic sounds.  I haven't, however, asked them to sound out words.    My son had started pointing to phrases and asking if they said, "x,y,z."  Invariably, he was correct.   For Christmas, he read Green Eggs and Ham to Me almost seamlessly.   I've been asking him to read one book a day to me.  He got really mad reading a...
My 5 y.o. DD was diagnosed with a plethora of SPD issues at 12 months:  sensory modulation disorder, motor-planning, tactile defensiveness, gravitational insecurity.  She received excellent treatment for 4 years, including hippotherapy (horseback riding) and aquatherapy.    We moved to Knoxville about 6 months ago, and her sensory modulation and other SPD issues seem to have dramatically worsened.  She has become very sensory-seeking and very tactile...
Ummmmm.   I didn't have ANY foils and my hair is above my shoulders.  The quoted price was $46.  The bill was a little over $100.  . . .   I was never going back there again anyway because the "complimentary cut" that came with the color was very unprofessionally done and one of the three worst hair cuts of my entire life.  (I did call the next day and told them I was extremely dissatisfied with the outcome of the haircut and the unprofessional process of the...
My hair is naturally medium brown, and I'm fine with keeping it approximately the same color.  I don't need to do anything drastic.  I just want to get rid of the grey strands.    Yes.  I felt very taken by that salon.  I would never go back again. 
I'm a little embarrassed to say I had never went to a salon to have my hair colored before.  I tried coloring my hair at home after finding some grey hairs, and thought it looked horrible.  I decided I really needed to get some professional help so I booked my first appointment at a salon to have my hair colored.  The price quoted sounded doable, but to my shock, the actual bill was more than double!    I learned the hard way that when the stylist was telling me what she...
We recently moved to a rural home in E. Tennessee.   The soil is clay.  After it rains, water pools in the soil.  I'm concerned about the effect on our house because our house sits at the base of a slope, so the pools of water are very close to our home.    I read something about adding mulch to the clay to help the soil.  Any one have experience or thoughts with this?  Would it be crazy to chop up the Christmas tree and add the fir needles to the soil where it...
I would love to join this . . .   Who I am:  A single, stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to 5 y.o. boy/girl twins.    My goal:  We moved part-way across the country and bought a house this year.  I had been completely debt-free before, but ended up with $1700 in credit card debt after the move.  I would like to pay that off as a first priority.  I also need to save for a lawn mower.    Steps I'm commiting to:  Right now, I'm writing down every penny I see.  I...