or Connect

Posts by marisa724

It looks like our plans may be falling through for tomorrow, and it also looks like it will be another nice day, so I'm trying to think of something cool we can do as a family. Two boys, 6 and 2, and two grownups. We are in Essex County, NJ (10mi from Manhattan) but don't mind a day trip within an hour or so.
He may just be too young to sit still for a "real" story at this age. My DS2 is the same age and I can maybe get four good pages out of him -- and that's if they're one sentence or so each. However, it's very developmentally appropriate to want to turn pages and look at pictures, and he's becoming "book smart" even if he's not ready for the full-on story experience. Within the next year or so he'll get more into it and then you will be dreaming of the chance to take a...
In the case of DS2, we worked on the quantity/frequency of sleep more than a specific set bedtime, and in that perspective, sleep really did beget sleep. The only thing I've ever gotten from a 'sleep training' book was Weissbluth's "two hour rule". A baby under six months or so should never be awake more than two hours at a time, and really in some cases an hour and a half is enough. We weren't strict about exact times (since some naps would be longer than others) or...
They took your seat at the gate? Chances are it didn't make it down to the main cargo area where all the rest of the checked luggage went to -- esp. if you picked it up immediately when you stepped off the plane. The gate-checked items that are available for pickup immediately stay closer to the cabin area, though I'm not sure exactly where they are stored for the flight. Your seat was never rattling around in the general cargo area.
I get the Kohls coupons. I always assumed it was because I live right down the block from one of the stores. I have never had a Kohls charge until this week. My DS1 had his heart set on these crazy expensive sneakers for this school year. I would've spent $35-40 at Stride Rite like I did last year, but the ones he likes are Skechers that are $55, regular price. When I went to spend this latest $10 at Kohls, I saw that they were $50 on sale, down to $40 with my coupon....
Are you sure it was a ball? They really don't get very big, maybe 3 feet-ish? I've never known one to eat anything larger than a rodent, like a large rat. Maybe it was a very small cat? (I'm sorry, poor kitty, that's not very funny!)
DS1 was another who would drink from anything, but with DS2 we just used the bottles that came with the Ameda pump. We never ever had a bottle warmer with either baby. It's kind of a waste, IMO, if you're not looking to give lots of bottles. For the one "dad feeding" a day, it's just as easy to fill a mug with hot water from the tap and sit the bottle in there for a few minutes. Breastmilk should be warmed gently and slowly anyway, to avoid damaging any live cells in...
It sounds like your ped has a limited view of 'normal'. While my DS2 was enthusiastic about trying new foods at 6 months, his older brother hadn't the slightest interest in food until he was closer to a year. That's two babies in the exact same household, same exposure to foods, etc. When DS1 did start eating more, he went right to 'table foods' and was eating small pieces of sandwich at just over a year. He's 6 now, extremely verbal -- in fact, we've often gotten...
Ball pythons aren't like big scary movie pythons! They're little and cute, they curl up in a ball (hence the name) and will sit in your hand. They make very good pets.
One of our corns got loose once. DS1 was a toddler and it turns out the latch on her cage was *not* too tricky for him to open! I was panicked because DH was in Germany for the week and I did NOT want to tell him she escaped on my watch! In our case, luckily, she'd only been out a few hours, and hadn't left the room. I found her in our office closet, curled up in a box of old phone wire and power cords. I think she thought she was camouflaged.