or Connect

Posts by marisa724

My 2-year-old actually did better in the movie than my 6 year old. I don't know how everyone else got such a different impression, but I thought that the climax of the movie was way too scary. One thing building upon another -- they're safe! No, another terribly dangerous thing is going to happen! My DS1 shrieked, "They're not going to make it!!!" and he shook and whimpered until the conflict resolved. DS2 kind of lost interest at that point, thankfully. My husband...
I have taken my babies to movies -- with DS1 I was dying to see "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" so we went to a mid-week, morning show. I actually brought my boppy along in a big tote bag (still figuring out the nursing in public!) and he snuggled up and nursed the whole time. Even had a hand free for my popcorn and soda! Fast forward a few years, DS1 was wanting to see a few movies and DS2 happily slept through things like "Kung Fu Panda." This worked until he...
If you have time to clip then you may have time to do the legwork yourself as well. I started doing it myself because our preferred store wasn't on the GG at that time. I got used to reading the store circular on Thursday evening before the sales started on Friday, and I found a few places I could look online to see what the coupons would be for that week. If your store is large enough, you could possibly even search sites like Slickdeals.net (they have a grocery...
My best thrift store score that I can think of wasn't too recent, but I still recall how gleeful I was to find it. A thick, soft wool J. Crew sweater in an awesome pumpkin orange. I wore the heck out of it, and when it got holey I felted it down to make longies for DS1.
It's true, there's not a lot of good secondhand for older kids. Just looking at my own DS1's stuff, I can understand - I've stored all his old clothes that were in good shape, and for size 2 I have four bins... for size 3 there's only two small ones. There just wasn't as much that was still in good shape once he was done with them! I have the most frugal system of all -- I had a second little boy, LOL! Talk about stretching the clothing budget -- I had to buy very...
OMG, no! As a child of divorced parents, I can't tell you how relieved I was when they finally officially split up and divorced. Things had not been great since I was very little, and when I was probably 8-9 years old they "separated". They continued to be in contact constantly even though they lived apart. It was extremely stressful for me and my brother, and it was like a great weight was lifted when they did divorced -- when I was a sophomore in high school. They...
Ticket prices already went up. The increase was about $3-4 per day. If you already bought passes at the lower price, though, they're still good. I would not go to Disney in August unless maybe someone's life depended on it. We've been in March, April and September -- times of the year when most kids are in school -- and it's been great, both weather-wise and crowd-wise. (You would need to bring rain gear/ponchos though -- it can be rainy/chilly at that time of year.)
Mine are more habits than actual compulsions, but it's been pointed out to me that I do some strange things while snacking. I eat popcorn by bringing a piece up next to my mouth, then sticking my tongue out slightly to 'snag' the popcorn, like a frog. (It's very slight, not noticeable unless you're actually watching me!) I have been told I eat apples "weird" because I start at the top and go around, then flip it and eat around the bottom, instead of eating a channel...
I had the same experience with Avalon. Go in as an exam, not just a consult, they can bill insurance then. I also have to give props to Marla Scott in Denville, she was my first midwife after my DS1 was born, and I was so sad to leave her care! -- Unfortunately she doesn't have the ability to attend VBACs anymore at St. Clare's (not her own fault -- the fault of the OBs who won't back her up).
I also have to watch myself saying "Oh God" and "Oh jeeze". My 25m old will say "Doooooood!" and "That's so COOL! I'm so a-SITED!" The funniest one is how if you negotiate something with him, he'll sigh and say, "Oh FINE." Not sure if he got it from me or from my six-going-on-sixteen-year-old.