or Connect

Posts by marisa724

We haven't roadtripped this long with my own kids, but when I was younger my family and I made this exact same excursion (though we lived in north Jersey, so we were technically in the car even longer! ) I think I must have been just about your DD1's age, since my little brother wasn't born yet and we're six years apart. We did leave at a ridiculously early hour, like 4-5 AM, I have a clear memory of being carried out to the car in the dark. By the time you're ready to...
Little Willow pn White St. in Red Bank is closed, which is a shame because I've been there a couple of years ago and it was a cute little place. I googled the other day and found this out, but I did find their blog so maybe you could contact them through that and see if they're still in business somewhere else. Red Bank would be a reasonable trip right down the Parkway from North Jersey. eta, this is the blog: http://littlewillowbaby.blogspot.com/
I don't think that being asked to give your DL information is anything new, although the technology to swipe it might be. My family has worked in hospitals my whole life, and I would never expect to be able to get past the lobby without a photo ID of some sort. I just googled quickly and it seems to be a fairly common practice to require at least showing a DL, and in many cases they retain the DL at the security desk when they give you your visitors pass. Just because...
My DS1 is a ridiculously-early riser, and has been for a couple of years now. When he was younger and an only child, he'd come and lay in bed with us starting around 5 AM, and we'd turn on cartoons or PBS for him. When DS2 arrived (DS1 was almost 4 1/2), that was no longer an option -- DS2 has been sleeping in with us -- so DS1 came up with a new routine. If he was up at 5 AM, he would either play quietly(ish) in his room, color or something like that, or we'd have a...
Cash. Always. But we're Italian. To be honest, I'm the sort of person who gets stressed out by "unsolicited" household gifts. I like things just so, and I feel terribly guilty if someone gives me an appliance/towels/baskets/etc. that are not useful to me or not what I would have picked. The 'waste' of not being able to use the item is on my mind every time I see it, and I usually wind up freecycling it eventually. Now, I fully admit I have many neurotic tendencies...
My sons are four years apart and I love it. DS1 was done with diapers, independent, had started preschool -- I was no longer his whole world. It was nice to be able to set him up with some snacks, some toys, a video and then lay there being sick on the couch during the first part of my pregnancy. When the baby came it was "our" baby and he helped with getting out diapers, entertaining the baby. He also had his other interests so it wasn't devastating to him that I...
Have you seen this program? http://www.craftedge.com/products/products.html It's not cheap, about $75 (or $60 if you want the download only with no cd). But it seems to allow you to use all your Truetype fonts and your own artwork, so it might be worth the investment. (FWIW I just plugged your subject line into Google and found lots of people talking about how great this program is. )
I wear hipster-style underwear, it's a nice compromise between bikinis and granny panties. Actually since baby #2 I'm even uncomfortable in the Victoria's Secret ones, but the Hanes with the comfort waistband are perfect. I've also realized that I have to shop in the "mom jeans" section, LOL. For me that means going to Kohls and trying on Lee jeans and stuff. I actually had this epiphany when I was buying diapers for my DS2, with his crazy long rise -- not everyone's...
I just did a quick google and found a couple of places describing how to repair it with a scrap of woven fabric (like a piece of an old sheet even) and some Fabri-Tac glue (available at craft stores and Walmart). You would cut the woven fabric patch to just larger than the hole, and slip it in under the torn fabric. Use the glue to adhere the ripped fabric to the patch on the inside of the couch, joining the edges of the tear closely to make it almost invisible. I'm...
I think this conversation veered off course slightly, since the question wasn't really about whether an 8 year old could be dropped off at his games or practices. I am of the opinion that as long as everyone is agreeable (both coach and parents) it's not a big deal. The big deal is that this family probably signed something when they registered Jr. for Little League (we did with DS1). And depending on what they signed, the LL may be assuming responsibility for the child...