or Connect

Posts by marisa724

Hi Kathy! I live right next to Secaucus. You are going to have to drive at least an hour to get to a reasonable beach in NJ. I would recommend it over going to a beach in NYC (because it's a HUUUUUGE pain to get through the city and out to the Island) but it's still going to be quite a long trip and may make Day 3 just a wee bit insane. There are buses from the hotels in Secaucus that will take you right into Port Authority on 42nd street. Can I suggest a tweak...
This sounds like a nice older woman who's had a lot of loss in her life - a son who died, "losing" her marriage recently. If she still had her son, maybe she'd be going there in the afternoons to just hang out -- as it is I bet she was looking for a way to reach out and find some friendship. It's certainly an unconventional way to go about it, but you know, it can be hard to meet new people once you get past a certain age. If you don't happen to belong to a church...
I've gotten several pairs from them, and it's always within the timeframe they promise. I believe it's less than four weeks from start to finish. From my confirmation email the last time, it was ordered on 12/1, I got an email on 12/15 saying that they were completed and shipped, and I know I was wearing my new glasses before Christmas. It can take some figuring out to find the best frames, since you can't see them in person, but the fact that they're so inexpensive...
One thing you might consider is adopting a 'restricted' diet for your vacation. I know it's potentially another ethical dilemma entirely to pretend to be allergic or something, but we just got back from Disney World with my son who's gluten-free, and I was really impressed at the choices he was given at just about every restaurant. If you contact Disney Dining, I believe they have you fill out a little email form and then someone emails you back within 48 hours. They...
Quote: Originally Posted by j4ino This may be a little ride for you...but this is who I used: http://postpartumplace.homestead.com/ The Postpartum Place in Chatham NJ I will second this! 45 min from me in Essex county and worth every minute on the Parkway. Maria was wonderful and totally saved me when I was in a very dark place with DS1.
Quote: Originally Posted by jess5377 Voice of Dissent: I *really* didn't like the sun tents because while my child would sleep peacefully in there, she'd inevitably wake up and want to nurse or be held right when the sun was at its brightest - in other words, I'd have to take her out of the tent and into the sun. Just rent or buy a giant umbrella and a blanket. That way you can all sit under it, you can nurse under it, you can sleep under it, you can...
I have not heard great things about St. Peter's. In fact, my BFF just traveled all the way to Overlook from Highland Park so she wouldn't have to deliver at St. Peters. I delivered at Overlook in 2004 and I had a great experience. My friend complained about one of the nurses bullying her after a c/s, her milk coming in later, etc. but if you're a mamaX3 you shouldn't have a problem shutting that kind of thing down. That was a personality issue, not a hospital policy...
My mother lives near the beach and my ILs rent a house there every summer. I've navigated the beach with young babies a few times now. Bringing a stroller is just a disaster, most of the time, esp. with all the rest of the gear you'll probably want to bring. The wheels are just not designed to roll on sand. It's kind of a nightmare to push, you wind up dragging it, you have to make extra trips for the other stuff.... etc. I highly recommend some kind of small tent as...
You shouldn't be given a hard time, in fact in both of the hospitals where I delivered (Overlook and Morristown) they had forms already prepared where you could check off yes or no for all the newborn procedures. If it makes you feel better you can write it out before you get there, in case you feel you might be out of it or whatever, but it really shouldn't be an issue.
I finally got a chance to talk to DS1 about his dreams, and he calls them "small sight". He dreams that he is looking at someone and all of a sudden they get smaller and smaller, like they're far away, even though he knows they're still right there. He says that he looks at a bin full of magnetic letters on his shelf and it starts to shrink, and it freaks him out. He says when he has small sight, everything is small and he can't turn and look at something else, it will...