or Connect

Posts by franciemack

Quote: Originally Posted by sanguine_speed Your income would not be combined to push you into a higher tax bracket. This is how single-income families are penalized relative to dual-income famililes. For instance, 2 people making $50,000 each will pay less tax in total than one person making $100,000 a year. Your incomes don't just add together to give you a tax rate-you are each taxed individually. This is true. Also, I'd like to point out...
I haven't read all the responses yet, but I will add my positive c-section story to the mix. I had a c-section for the birth of my twin girls 16 months ago. It was not planned. Baby A was vertex and B was breech. Very common with twins. My OB was very supportive of a vaginal delivery and that was what was planned, although I would have a epidural and would likely delivery in the OR "just in case". So mentally, I was all prepped for a vaginal delivery, but that all went...
I think we should afford the mother who had a c-section the privilege of calling the birth whatever she chooses. When telling my birth story, I often say "when the babies came out", meaning when they came out of my belly. And when asked what kind of birth I had, I just say simply "I had a c-section".
It is worth pointing out that the crux of the argument, that c-section mothers are inferior, is based on a completely unsubstantiated theory of Michel Odent. Bonding with your baby is an incredibly complex interplay of culture, situation, temperment of mother, child, support systems, family of origin. Reducing it to a single hormone is a ridiculously simplistic view of childbirth and parenting.
Quote: Originally Posted by christyc I see that you're a newbie, so I'm sure you haven't yet had the chance to get to know many of the other MoMs here yet, but this comment really rubs me the wrong way (even though I have not ever UC'd anyone, much less twins, and would never choose UC if I had options). This question has been floated earlier, and most responses are from people not pregnant with twins. So it's unlikely they've invested a...
Nope. I am pregnant with twins, and wouldn't consider birthing outside the hosp with an OB. Having come through infertility and recurrent pregnancy loss, I am very risk averse. Plus I'm getting great care from a fantastic OB who is happy to support a vaginal birth if the conditions are right. Do some research outside of these forums to find the stats on twin births. 10% of second twins require emergency c-sections after a successful vaginal birth of the presenting twin.
Quote: Originally Posted by christyc I disagree, and wonder if maybe folks who have had ART are more sensitive and infer that just because of their experiences. I'll be the first to admit I'm more sensitive about my pregnancy than someone who hasn't suffered RPL and/or infertility...and yes I agree my experience colours my perception - as it does for everyone. 4 miscarriages and 5 embryo transfers will do that to you. Also, I'm sure all...
Quote: Originally Posted by naturalmamaof1 I didn't know that asking someone with twins if they are a result of fertility treatments or naturally occuring can be hurtful! I feel bad now because I have asked that question a few times I don't know why it's a big deal though either they are they are not (naturally occuring or not that is) If you have used fertility treatments why not talk about it if someone asks? I don't find it hurtful, just...
Quote: Originally Posted by DoomaYula Also, I wanted to add, I find the phrase "naturally occurring" to be offensive toward moms who used fertility. End the mommy wars! In the political corners of the childbirth community natural = superior. It's a pretty loaded word. It implies there's something unnatural about my babies - whose poop's will smell just the same as "natural" twin poop's. I think it's best to use the scientific terms -...
I'm pregnant with IVF fraternal g/g twins after 4 miscarriages and 5 embryo transfer, including one set of identical twins from a single embryo transfer last summer. I like to think of all babies as "natural", and choose to avoid the value-laden language. It's not like my babies are zombies or Frankenstein! I too am tired of the "do twins run in your family" question...if only i had a dollar for each time I'm asked. I too tend to think it's the inquiring mind...